Tracker 1542 build questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tysonmilam

Reaction score
Hey guys, new guy here. Been researching this topic for about 3 weeks and am struggling making a decision on which way to go. Looking at doing a full deck with under storage on a 1542. Wanting to keep the frame light weight. Will be using a combination of aluminium angle, square, rectangular tubing for the deck frame, all 1/8" thickness. My question is this........would I be better off having the frame welded or just using rivets? Seems rivets are easiest and cheapest but BUT welding seems the better option as far as longevity. Just looking for opinions and the reasons for those opinions. Want to do it right the first time and not worry about it in 3 years.

Nothing wrong with rivets. If you can weld aluminum then have at it but it is not for most DIY boat builders....

Welding aluminum doesn't guarantee longevity. Finding a welder who does quality work at a workable price is hard enough, but welded aluminum boats are made from thicker materials and designed around the propensity of aluminum to stress cracking. Take a riveted boat with a thinner skin and drop a welded frame in it and you're asking for cracks to form over time in the sheet metal around the areas where the welds stiffen the hull.

I say if you've got a riveted hull use rivets in your build unless you have the engineering prowess to work around aluminum's kwirks.

Latest posts