Front Deck on 1980 Sea Nymph... opinions please, first build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionhearted9

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 16 ft Sea Nymph and going to do the insides, but I want to put front deck on it, about maybe 4 ft. I don’t know whether I should come off the upper deck or make it coming off front bench seat. So it would be sort of a 2 level. Redo top level and extend off front bench to about 4 ft. Don’t know which way to go. Been debating about this for weeks. Redid the bottom and sides, took me about three weeks.... took it out no leaks, wanted to make sure before I did inside. Oh and powered by 1982 Johnson 35 hp.. runs excellent. Thank you all, from N.H.

Attachments

• 48B670BF-B7EF-4FBC-A4F2-AFAB13F63BA0.jpeg
    48B670BF-B7EF-4FBC-A4F2-AFAB13F63BA0.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 2,144
  • D39BC202-4ECE-4ED4-AC04-59AC15610FB2.jpeg
    D39BC202-4ECE-4ED4-AC04-59AC15610FB2.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2,144
  • 39DC16ED-C6C6-4FDF-B4FC-14939F5D7AA1.jpeg
    39DC16ED-C6C6-4FDF-B4FC-14939F5D7AA1.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2,144
Maybe this is a better pic of what I have to work with

Attachments

• C125F8BA-A376-4933-A2C4-3540CE790306.jpeg
    C125F8BA-A376-4933-A2C4-3540CE790306.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 2,122
I would build it off the center seat, level. It looks as if it would run over the front seat some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lionhearted9 said:
or make it coming off front bench seat.

Thank you all, from N.H.

Hello neighbor! I live in Henniker and work in Londonderry.

If it were mine, I would make the deck off the front seat in an effort to have a lower center of gravity. You'll still have lots of room to make under deck storage if you want. To be honest, the boat looks big and beamy enough to do either way you are considering, but personally, if it were mine that is what I would do. A platform right over both the front and middle seat with lockers and storage underneath for batteries, fuel anchor, lines and pfd's. Nice score, those can be hard to come by in fixer upper condition.

Jet to, Thank you. I live in Goffstown. I was thinking about saving that second bench from the bow and building off front bench and redoing the upper deck, is this what you meant. Bought boat, trailer and motor at a auction in Penn. Boat belong to the power plant in Penn.

I don't think you'll have any stability issues with that unless you are the type that has stability issues everywhere. That said, I too would build the deck off the front bench seat leaving the bow cap elevated and mounting the trolling motor up there. Having that 6" lip around the edge of the boat is nice for avoiding booting gear over the side by accident.

Thank you all, that’s what I’m going to do. I’m going to feel better having about 6 inches below gunwale. And do upper deck over for trolling motor? Thank you all again and have a Great Day

Sorry, one more question,before I do deck should I do floor then deck over. Look better and quieter for storage when storage hatch’s are open or just leave the way it is? Thank you

Measure down from the rail going to the center seat and see if that’s 4 1/2 5 inches if you went from there over on top of the front seat then that gives you a much larger flat deck. Leaving the bow deck for like the trolling motor as mentioned. I think you might’ve misunderstood I didn’t mean level with the top of the boat from the center seat. It looks like the deck would extend over on top of the front seat just a inch and a half or so but you’d have a full deck from center seat and still be about 4 1/2 5 inches low from the garden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, I understand now, the front bench seat is lower then then center bench, just block it up to make it level with the center bench? Then I would be blocking cubby hole front storage, unless I made hatch from top.

That is a trade off for all the storage under the deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts