The boat from uncle

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richwater

Reaction score
I now have the boat that I fished in as a youth; 1973 Starcraft 14' with 9.5 Johnson. Clearly remember when neighbor/uncle brought her home, and soon we were fishing, mainly trolling for pike. Although last registration was 1998, the boat had not seen water for years prior. (This is my first boat and I do not have a lot of experience in posting on forums, please forgive my noob)
IMG_0666.JPG

Although motor was treated well since new, I had it completely overhauled and now runs super well.IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0668.JPG

I am 6'-3" and 240 lbs. , and these mods are required both for comfort and stability:
Move fuel tank to bow
Remove second bench, possibly add side lockers for strength
Move rear bench forward 4" and add swivel seat
All bench wood needs replacing.

I have read over 100 threads on this forum and have seen some great work and plan to incorporate a few into this mod., and would be a pleasure to hear some members ideas. Unfortunately, northeastern weather is moving in and I do not have warm dry space to work, so a lot of work may have to wait for spring. Gives me time to plan.

Fantastic that you now have the boat your uncle took you out on as a kid. The boat really looks like it is in good shape.

Frequently given advice by the experienced folks here on TB is to use the boat for awhile before digging into major modifications. Even though you used the boat in your youth, things have a tendency to change as we get older ( :shock: ). That way you avoid doing something you might regret later and can confirm that the mods are really what you want with the boat.

And, by the way, thanks for your first post and welcome to TB.

Any floor/deck type mods usually add weight. Keep that in mind considering you are a big guy and the motor is on the small side for a loaded 14 footer. Those are great motors and yours looks like a nice clean one. Also those boxes under the seats are your floatation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like a fine vessel to start with. I like your plan with removing the second ( from the rear) bench and adding side lockers..
Personally I would also add a deck from the second bench (from the front) to the bow, then possibly add a bow mount trolling motor.
Another consideration is to use a 3 gallon fuel tank and keep it in the rear, depending on how far you want to venture from shore - chances are you won't use more than 3 gallons in one day.
You may also consider a small floor section ahead of the rear seat, I find this is an excellent way to stay organized as all your stuff doesn't cascade to the center of the boat.
Looking forward to the progress on this!

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Thanks to all for the replies and input. I have been out several times and found that with five gal of gas in the bow, and leaning forward of the rear bench it will plane. Also found that the second bench must go in order to be comfortable. A low flat deck in front of the back bench will contribute to comfort and safe maneuvering. Not yet a fan of front decks, and need to keep the weight down. Like to start with removing second bench, lay decking temporarily, bring TM battery and experiment with placement. Problem is that try-out will likely be before side locker or bracing install. Should be ok if I take it easy on a calm day?

I like that motor, I have 1972 50th anniversary edition always run like a charm, always start on first or second pull.

With that motor and not out pounding whitecaps, you should be fine indefinitely without bracing imo.

It’s a great motor. Was only used 8-10 times each summer for the first twenty years, and seldom after that. 95% of the hours were trolling. I may find the to 14’ to be underpowered some day, but the boat and motor have always been a pair and they work as intended.

Any boat is a good boat.
The Starcraft appears to have a small amount of freeboard, and you are a large human, so adding a tiller extension or even going to a forward helm would help a lot with weight transfer.

Just remember, any decks that add height (they all add height) will make the boat more tippy than before. At the very least, put in some foam blocks or something similar. Slip in a trial piece of plywood and go fishing

You may find that the added value of the deck is quickly offset by the loss of stability ....and it isn't worth it.
rich

Given the way my large body maneuvers in a boat, a low deck in front of the tiller will much improve stability rather than clambering around on the existing uneven, concave surface. Do not think I can wait for spring to start this project. As soon as hunting gear and an ice shanty build are out of the way, I am making room in the garage for the Starcraft.

I'll mention the mounts and exhaust to my motor mechanic when he returns in the spring, although he is very thorough and probably checked them out already.

New complete ignition system, impeller, fuel pump and other parts. $700 in parts and labor, but I have seen his work. I was impressed when I saw him start it by turning the flywheel by hand.

Money to properly fix a motor can be very well spent $$$$s. I hate to be miles from the launch and have to worry.

My engine is 22 years old but still runs fine. However, one of these days......

My newest motor is a 1983 and other than an impeller, I’m running it the way I got it. Took a 1971 Johnson 4 hp on a 3 day trip up a remote river here in Ontario. The recoil spring broke but with new coils, condenser, points... similar to the aforementioned work you had done, it ran great and started easily by wrapping the rope around the flywheel. A motor can last a long time.

Latest posts