Long time lurker, first time post

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pistol58

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been following this site for some time now and gotten a ton of ideas in doing so. I recently acquired a 14' Monark jon boat for my son and I to restore and use in neighborhood we live in. Our house backs up to a small 5 acre lake, so its the perfect size boat and been a fun project so far.

I am going to upload some pictures of what I have done already, but I need some advice as well on what to do (if anything at all) about decking.

So far, here is what I have done:
- Filled with water to check for leaks. There were several loose rivets which I have tightened
- Used Marine loctite on ALL rivets underneath the boat. Even ones that were not leaking before.
- Pressure washed the outside entirely. Sand/Grind off all old paint (as much as possible) and wipe with acetone.
- Remove old rotted transom. Cut new transom material stained and sealed. Just need to install after paint.
- Aluminum self etching primer coat on bottom and up sides a few inches
- Coat underside with steel flex epoxy

Still to do:
- Sand and prime interior of boat.
- Paint interior with duraflex marine paint
- Deck

And that is where I am struggling to make a decision. It is only me and my 7 year old son going to be on the boat 90% of the time. Occasionally I may have a buddy join us.

I am not sure if should deck the front to the first rib only, and use it for a storage spot, or deck it all the way back to the first bench seat and put seat on top of that?

Attachments

• IMG_9405.PNG
    IMG_9405.PNG
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,487
  • IMG_9303.jpg
    IMG_9303.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 1,487
  • IMG_9403.jpg
    IMG_9403.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,487
  • IMG_9404.jpg
    IMG_9404.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,487
  • 2019-01-07_11-44-28.jpg
    2019-01-07_11-44-28.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,487
  • 2019-01-07_11-44-55.jpg
    2019-01-07_11-44-55.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,487
  • 2019-01-07_11-45-27.jpg
    2019-01-07_11-45-27.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,487
  • 2019-01-07_11-43-56.jpg
    2019-01-07_11-43-56.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,487
  • option 1.jpg
    option 1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,487
  • option 2.jpg
    option 2.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,487
I recommend the shorter front deck.

Then you will have a lower CofG.

Kinda narrow boat for standing on top of it.

CedarRiverScooter said:

I agree. But if I am planning on a 7" pedestal for the middle bench anyway, the deck may raise it an inch or so. I realize standing it my get pretty tippy, but just not sure if having the extra lower floor space is worth it.

CedarRiverScooter said:

I was just about to write the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Pistol58 said:

- Filled with water to check for leaks. There were several loose rivets which I have tightened
... just be aware that water pressure is greater when the water is on the outside, due to the amount of water displaced. But rebucking anything loose - as you did, it quite simple.

DaleH said:
Pistol58 said:

... just be aware that water pressure is greater when the water is on the outside, due to the amount of water displaced. But rebucking anything loose - as you did, it quite simple.

I have tested again by filling with water. To be honest, I would be pretty surprised if it leaks. I completely lathered the steel flex on the bottom, after marine loctite on each rivet, and am planning on same loctite on each rivet from the inside. I cant honestly think how water could get it. Knocking on wood of course (or aluminum lol)

Here is a contrary thought -- why not forget the deck altogether. Maybe instead just do a lightweight floor for comfort. Someone could still sit on that front bench. Use cheap duffles or backpacks for storage -- toss them wherever they need to be so they are out of the way. Then you have maximum flexibility, less weight, & maybe more stability for someone in front of the middle bench.

Just another possibility.

PS: Welcome to TB.net!!

JMO, deck all the way over the benches. I left the middle bench when I first did my boat, and later extended the deck over it. I was tired of stepping over it, it allowed more below deck storage, and also gave me an area to put a livewell.

There was a bit of a problem with seating passengers in my boat, since it's not safe to sit on deck in a pedestal seat while underway. To remedy this, I placed a large hatch next to the bench seat, so you can remove the pedestal, stick the seat right into the base, flip the hatch open, and stick your legs below deck, sitting just like you would if the deck wasn't there. Although in your situation, they could also just sit backwards on top of the middle bench. In my boat, the area between the middle and rear bench was pretty small, and we would be fighting for leg room.

That's a great small water boat. Brings back memories because I've been in a few of them having lived not far from where they were made. It's a skinny boat and decks will make it more tippy. I am a fan of drop in floor boards on a boat this size. Make pedestal seats off the floor if you like but keep as low as you can. Also as light as you can. Clamp on seat bases are nice as well and can make a fishing outing pleasant without adding a lot of weight or height.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the feedback. I am now leaning towards scrapping the deck (maybe just a small one up front for storage, but no seating.)

Now I kind of wished I pulled out the middle bench and putting a pedestal there before sealing the hull. Oh well, I can put a small swivel on the middle bench and live with stepping over it when need be.

More pics to come as I progress. Thanks again!

Thanks for joining and documenting your project here for all to see. I truly appreciate it. Send me a message if you want a decal for your boat, vehicle, etc.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could still remove the middle bench. Rivet an aluminum frame work to the ribs on the floor and then tie the original middle seat brackets down to that to support the sides of the hull. No new holes through the hull and you'll have a sturdy frame to mount your seat pedestal. Nice build so far!