New Lowe 1448 modifications

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay57

Reaction score
Just bought a new Lowe Jon boat yesterday with a 9.9 four stroke and trailer. I am super pumped to begin modifications to make it a nice fishing platform for me and my 8 year old son. I want to add a plywood floor. Maybe a front deck. Front mounted trolling motor and battery. I like the idea of a deck mainly for the storage underneath, otherwise I would be just as happy with a floor. Don’t want to lose the function of the Livewell.

Looking for ideas! :)

Attachments

• B44FB1FD-5AE0-4616-B0F6-F19AAB780321.jpeg
    B44FB1FD-5AE0-4616-B0F6-F19AAB780321.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 2,082
Here are some more pictures. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated!

Attachments

• D634A8AD-D256-46B7-B049-534944EE3BF2.jpeg
    D634A8AD-D256-46B7-B049-534944EE3BF2.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 2,037
  • 64288E2C-DA31-4178-853A-FD79C940141B.jpeg
    64288E2C-DA31-4178-853A-FD79C940141B.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 2,037
  • 45935ACE-C4E1-4746-B88F-4700EC0620A9.jpeg
    45935ACE-C4E1-4746-B88F-4700EC0620A9.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 2,037
Fish it as is for at least 1 full season. See what’s really missing for the type of fishing your going to do.

You don’t want to drill holes in a new boat only to realized you should of organized things differently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with the above. Fish it at least a few times to see what you like, dislike and are missing. Then go from there. Only other suggestion I have is to consider aluminum over plywood for your floor/deck. Lighter than wood and virtually maintenance free.

Jay,
These guys know what they're talking about. Mods are great, but unnecessary ones just cost money with zero gains. Take it out for a month or so (even longer if you can stand it) and take notes on what would be nice to have vs. what you actually need. I have a Tracker 1542 and all the mods I had done have ZERO regrets. I had the same thing in mind, front deck, storage, fish/hunt two comfortable, etc... but I took out the worthless livewell and turned it into a battery compartment. You'll understand why I said that when you try to keep fish alive in it when it gets above 70 degrees; and, how are you gonna get water in it? I turned a 45qt cooler into a livewell, and that works fantastic; and easier to keep clean. Keeps water for fish much cooler as well. Link is below for the mods.

Have a great time with the boat, and enjoy the adventure!!!!

R,
Bobby
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=41515

Refer to my post 1436 on Cedar. If you like my design I can answer questions you might have. Works amazing and the deck only adds about 75 pounds. I didn't weigh it, but I can remove it myself no problem. It works amazing, taking it out with my 15 hp Mercury this weekend to test out with a gas motor.

Thank you for all the reply's . Yes, I don't want to put unnecessary holes in my boat! Good info on the livewell. Maybe I'll just use that for storage now.

I think do what you say and fish it for a season with just a floor, some anchors, and maybe a clamp on seat or two. See if I really need a deck or a trolling motor.

Yankemandspankem said:
Refer to my post 1436 on Cedar. If you like my design I can answer questions you might have. Works amazing and the deck only adds about 75 pounds. I didn't weigh it, but I can remove it myself no problem. It works amazing, taking it out with my 15 hp Mercury this weekend to test out with a gas motor.

Yes, I was looking at your thread. One question on your floor. What is the purpose of the foam underneath? Does the floor sit on the foam or the ribs? Is it just for noise reduction or does it provide some flotation? Does the foam come up to the same level as the ribs?

The foam was added for sound dampening and for the floorboard to sit on in conjunction with the ribs of the boat. When you put the styrofoam in it'll squeak like crazy if you do it too tight. You can use a hand saw or a really sharp utility knife to cut the stuff. If you use a saw have a shop vac handy to vacuum up the particles. The utility knife is the better option. I used a hand saw for any small adjustments.

There is no added buoyancy from putting styrofoam in the bottom of the boat.

I took my boat out last weekend on Lake Washington here in Washington State (the biggest lake in Western Washington) and it handled amazing. The deck is light enough it does not cause the bow to porpoise and getting on a plane is absolutely no issue. The velcro along with the weight of the trolling motor and seat holds the deck in place just fine both on the water and towing at speeds of 60 MPH. The 94 Mercury 2 stroke 15 HP motor on this under 200 pound boat just screams!

Add the styrofoam if you're putting a floor in.

jay57 said:
I think do what you say and fish it for a season with just a floor, some anchors, and maybe a clamp on seat or two.

Just a word of caution, if you do install clamp on seats make sure they are secured somehow other than just clamping on. I chose my username because of a clamp on seat that shifted while reaching for a net and ejected me backwards into a river at night, I don't trust them at all!

Latest posts