Deep V fastening new deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopers

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a DEEP 16ft aluminum boat that I'm replacing the deck on. I have the old one removed. It was held down entirely with rivets which I didnt expect.

I dont think I will be able to secure the new floor with rivets because everything would have to line up just perfect in order to work. The rivets that held the floor down are at the very end of the "ribs" of the boat. I included a photo.

Are there any alternatives besides rivets? My only thought is using a self tapping screw that is designed to penetrate wood then metal. I also think I could possibly use "spring nuts / U nuts ". There is very little clearance between the end of the rib and the sidewall.. not even enough to get my finger in there for a regular nut/bolt application. Clearance is my main problem.

Also I included a second photo. This piece of wood up front was UNDER my old floor. I'm assuming it is for structural purposes. Can someone please confirm. Thanks

IMG_20190303_110546120.jpg
IMG_20190303_102512684.jpg

I would just drill new holes for pop rivets if at all possible.

Self tapping screws seem to loosen up over time.

If you store boat inside, timmerman nuts could work but they would rust in a moist environment..

CedarRiverScooter said:
I would just drill new holes for pop rivets if at all possible.

Self tapping screws seem to loosen up over time.

If you store boat inside, timmerman nuts could work but they would rust in a moist environment..

Thank you for the reply. I really cannot drill new holes for pop rivets. The reason being is where they already have rivet holes is about the only place I could fasten anything ( other than when I get to the middle by the stringers ). The drop off is real steep and there would be a big gap under the deck if I attempt to fasten anywhere other than the edge where the original rivets are. I'm thinking riveting the same holes are my sole option but I'll wait and see if more ideas pop up.

Screws are fine. Pre-drill or use self tapping.

Stainless or exterior steel will work, provided that you aren't running in saltwater.

Can you use the old decking as a template and use it to drill the new rivet holes?

self tapping screws will constantly loosen.maybe try a riv nut and stainless bolt with some red threadlocker.at least you will be able to lift it later down the road.

Latest posts