14ft Lowe v front boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcwilliams

Reaction score
New to boats and new to the forum.

Purchased this boat a complete mess. Trying to get it done so I can enjoy it this year.

I'm onto the bottom of the boat been sanding and prepping all day.

What's the best way to seal the seams? I pulled all the old caulking out when I was sanding.

Thanks

Pics are before I got started btw lol
2fd41202d433958077012139e8a92485.jpg
a1ce706dc585ff9ca97af9eeed7272e1.jpg
e5a14463f3d39beceda58fda90dd0e50.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Usually what I do at this point is to put the boat on horses, solid ones and put the hose in it. That will show you if and where any leaks are. Then you can rebuck rivets and use a product if necessary. It's not usually necessary to "caulk" seams unless there is a serious problem. I like the shape of that hull, it's going to be a sharp looking boat.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Usually what I do at this point is to put the boat on horses, solid ones and put the hose in it. That will show you if and where any leaks are. Then you can rebuck rivets and use a product if necessary. It's not usually necessary to "caulk" seams unless there is a serious problem. I like the shape of that hull, it's going to be a sharp looking boat.

Ok thanks for the info. Also would you use like a truck bed coating on the bottom?
Was thinking it would hide imperfections and help seal...

I prefer a bare aluminum bottom because anything you paint it with winds up scratched and looks crappy after a season or two. Usually if there's a leak, it's only one or two rivets and often rebucking takes care of it. If not you can use many different products from a couple drops of super glue to JB weld or 3m 5200. Shouldn't have to coat an entire bottom.

Just got done sanding the best I could. Got it back on the trailer. Tonight fill with water this week and see what I got. Thanks for the info.

Maybe a few inches of water can be rolled around to check for leaks so you don't have to fill it up and stress the hull.

That's how I do it. Good point. I just put a couple inches of water in, let it sit, tilt it....

Had some leaks cleaning it up now and going to seal it up. Am I wasting my time with prepping the bottom before I seal it up? Pics attached using a wire brush to get this mess cleaned up so I can roll it after I seal it. 20190321_202329.jpg20190321_202320.jpg

jcwilliams said:
Weldorthemagnificent said:

Ok thanks for the info. Also would you use like a truck bed coating on the bottom?
Was thinking it would hide imperfections and help seal...

The absolute last thing you want to do is use bedliner on the bottom. One it will eventually turn loose and two you will be surprise just how much drag it will have and the rusultant effect it will have on speed.

jcwilliams said:
What type of paint and sealer do I use?

Are you talking about sealing the seams/rivets? If yes, I've seen videos of a product called GFLEX being syringed into seams that have been heated. Same for rivets. Heat is used to help the GFLEX epoxy wick into the seam. I've not done it so I'm kind of passing on second hand info here. Another product I've read about folks using is Gluvit.

BTW, I agree with NCCatfisher's comment -- don't use bed liner on the bottom of your boat. As far as I'm concerned don't use it anywhere on your boat.

Thanks for the info. I'll get one of those products and just paint the bottom.

jcwilliams said:
Thanks for the info. I'll get one of those products and just paint the bottom.

The product websites have info on intended use and proper use. Hopefully someone here on TB will chime in. If not, you should be able to find "how to" videos fairly easily on the internet.

Went with the aluminum paint didn't turn out bad I don't think. 20190406_133913.jpg20190406_133900.jpg

LDUBS said:
Wow, that is a big transformation. I think you made a good choice with the aluminum color.
Thanks. Should I do the whole outside of the boat that color? Or a different color from side rails up to the top.

Latest posts