14' Sears - First Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acefuture

Reaction score
How's it goin guys, new to the forum and while I'm not new to boating, thanks to some help of the interwebs I pulled the trigger on my first boat. A beautiful yacht in the form of a 14' Aluminum sears, vintage unknown. Since my last project (a sand car build that is done for the most part) I needed a new project to work on and what better than a boat for summer fishing in So Cal. I scored this bad boy for a killer deal and it came with a Johnson 6hp 2 smoke outboard that runs, a little rich and doesn't want to idle, but I'm under the assumption it's bad gas and a leaky fuel line. The boat is in overall great shape with no leaks, so i'll be doing a full repaint and restoration on it. I'll be building a full deck for the entire boat, but won't be cutting out any of the seats for structural purposes. Hoping to wrap it up and have it in the water by May. Here it is the day I bought it:

IMG_8229.jpg
IMG_8228.jpg
IMG_8227.jpg
IMG_8218.jpg

The plan of attack for restoration:
- Full sand/clean down to bare aluminum
- Repaint
- Prime with either SeaHawk Tuff Stuff, Interlux Interprotect, or Rustoleum Self Etching for Aluminum
- Paint with Pettit Paint Ultima ECO Bottom Coat Antifouling paint for Aluminum - White
- Coat Interior with a Topside paint (not sure which yet, but something non copper) - White
- Build casting deck. The plan is to build a 2x2 wood frame from middle bench to the bow and then cover it in a marine ply. As well as a cover from rear bench to transom/stern with openings for gas tank and life jackets.
- Pull open compartments in the bow and center section for oars, lures/fishing supplies, and of course beverages
- Cover all wood in carpet. I was initially going to do it in a Faux Teak padding, like Seadeck, but it's either aggressively expensive or doesn't hold up well so instead I'm leaning towards trailer bunk carpet, probably black (I know it could get hot, but I really don't like grey).
- Repaint outboard in white with new/vintage Johnson graphics
- New fuel line and adapters for gas tank
- Two moveable seats that can be reconfigured, haven't quite wrapped my head around this yet.
- Rod holders, cup holders, etc.
- Eventually a 12v system with Nav lights, bilge pump, phone chargers, and sound system of sorts

The whole purpose is to make this thing a true fisher. I want to keep it light so I can get one other buddy and maybe a girl on it. Really stoked to get this thing in the water.

I started pulling off all of the misc hardware as well as the interior transom, which in hindsight was a bad idea. It took FOREVER and was actually in near perfect shape, so the rear section will be staying on. I began the sanding process as well. With an 80 grit sand and a wire wheel it will take quite some time, but should be a good prep for primer.

IMG_8230.jpg
IMG_8232.jpg

I also whipped up a rendering of the framing and what the deck will look like:

aluminum_boat_before-01.png

Looks like a good vessel to start with.. you may want to look into outdoor vinyl flooring for the deck.. I think you can get it at home depot. Carpet is fine but likes fish hooks and slime, vinyl is easier to keep clean.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

GYPSY400 said:
Looks like a good vessel to start with.. you may want to look into outdoor vinyl flooring for the deck.. I think you can get it at home depot. Carpet is fine but likes fish hooks and slime, vinyl is easier to keep clean.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I should have specified that outdoor vinyl is what I’ll be using, not specifically carpet. Just used that as a term. But thanks!

Latest posts