86 Starcraft BASSV170 Rebuild/refit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcaircraftnut

Reaction score
Bought this Wednesday after work. Going to go pick it up tomorrow morning and bring it to the new shop. Hope to start teardown next week.20190703_144914.jpg
Looked into doing all Coosa board and it's just a bit under $1700 plus shipping. Not sure I want to go that route. May just do flberglass over wood cores. I have a bunch of hard balsa wood I could use for cores but that is a lot of work. May have to use plywood this time untill budget constraints are looser. If I do a coosa transom and a coosa subfloor now and wood decks I can add coosa decks later. Will have to see. I dont want to be without a boat this summer so using funds from sale of the basstraker isnt an option at this time.

After Pop saw it he decided to have me do the new boat here since the new shop is still all messed up and who knows when it will be usable and safe. So I guess he wants to see this come together soon. Decided that the pontoon boat is on temporary hold untill the budget changes a bit. We want to do some nice seats and console ect to it so will wait till the Basstraker sells.
So as soon as I get this Starcraft on the water the MV16 will be for sale. Pop says he can go out on my boat this summer lol.

Got a bit of teardown done before the heat drove me indoors. All the original flotation foam above the subfloor is still in great condition and can be reused. Haven't got it cleaned up enough to see if the foam is still good below the floor. I'm betting it's not. From what I can see it looks to be pour in foam and is likely cooked.

Also since the hatch covers are all aluminum with plywood inside them my cost to redeck just dropped as it will use thinner material than I originally figured. Going to have to give HDPE a try inside the hatch covers. With some bracing and more pour foam I can go down to the thin Coosa board for the floor. Going to have to refigure this.

After several attacks on the well entrenched Red wasps with spray, I was able to remove the console, fron deck and rod locker framing. The floor was so bad it just crumbles. Enough of the pour foam is dried out and crunchy that it must all be replaced. What brands ect do you fine gents use? This will be my first time using it so ease of use is largely important. Thanks.

Ok boys and girls. This is on standby once teardown is done. I have $400 of the $950 put away so far. A few more weeks and I can order the Coosa Bluewater 26 for the floor decks amd transom. Then I will need pour foam and either carpet, or faux teak deck covering.

rcaircraftnut said:
After several attacks on the well entrenched Red wasps with spray, I was able to remove the console, fron deck and rod locker framing. The floor was so bad it just crumbles. Enough of the pour foam is dried out and crunchy that it must all be replaced. What brands ect do you fine gents use? This will be my first time using it so ease of use is largely important. Thanks.

I plan to use Totalboat Pour In Foam on my rig. Haven’t tried the stuff yet, but it has good reviews on Amazon and I’ve used a lot of their products with great success. They make it in a 2 and 6 pound density, I plan to use the 2 because you get a greater yield volume and less dense = better flotation.

Turd Ferguson said:
rcaircraftnut said:

I plan to use Totalboat Pour In Foam on my rig. Haven’t tried the stuff yet, but it has good reviews on Amazon and I’ve used a lot of their products with great success. They make it in a 2 and 6 pound density, I plan to use the 2 because you get a greater yield volume and less dense = better flotation.
I was looking at that. Looks like a good option.

Been working crazy hours at the concrete co as we had 2 guys quit. I will be getting materials to get started on the floor and transom soon. My lil brother moved back in so had to help him out as well as new eye glasses so my savings went bye bye.

Finally got a chance to get done with teardown. I will say it again. DO NOT USE TREATED PLYWOOD IN ALUMINUM BOATS. I can't get the pics to upload at the moment but there is severe pitting across the transom from the wood that was used. Several go through completely. Will have to break out the torch and alumaweld rods again.

Life has been a rollercoaster as of late but I am about to get back on this project. I have some plywood left over from the pontoon boat build that I was able to cut a new transom cores out of. Hope to start prepping for fiberglassing tomorrow.

Got the resin and cloth to do the transom today. Weather is way too hot and raining off and on to go out there and do it. Lol. Supposed to be doing some other carpentry/construction tomorrow so hopefully I squeeze in the transom lamination and fitting tomorrow. Then I can glass the outside of it over the next few days if the weather cooperates.

At minimum I will need the transom in, foam and flooring in and the engine mounted by the end of August. As it looks like I am moving to the Oklahoma City area within three months. Timeline depends on how fast things go with a new business venture. I can do the casting decks and carpet ect after the move if need be but at the moment it's in too many pieces to easily move. Lol.

Have decided to use solid foam and pool noodles again like I did in the bass tracker build as it is cheap, easy, and will never soak up water as well as allowing air to circulate aiding in drying and preventing mold.

Ok. Change of plans. Materials availability and price have changed. I can no longer get pool noodles for $1 each 4 miles from home. They are now more costly than the good pour foam. So I will be ordering some soon. Also decided to just do painted plywood with Eva foam covering in teak look. Found that they now offer a treated wood that has no metals in the treatment and is all organic ecosafe so should not react with the aluminum. Should last a long time. Hope to get started soon. Need the pontoon sold and out of my workspace. Lol. Supposed to be gone tomorrow.

Looks like I will be heading to the Dallas ft worth area in the next few days to get materials and make a trade for a Hummingbird 997c si graph. Now I need to decide if I am going to use the forward livewell or make that space tackle storage.

Well. Since I have had three straight people say I want it I'll be there, then no call no show on this pontoon boat I'm selling. Therefore I still have no funds to order supplies for the 170. So it's a nice day and I will be getting the transom ready to paint later today. But still waiting for everything else. Lol.

Why is it people feel the need to msg others about availability of a for sale item on Facebook then not respond afterwards. Or say they are coming then never respond again? Am I wrong for being irritated by it?

Latest posts