Flotation foam 2005 1648 Grizzly

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1648grizz

Reaction score
The water would not drain under my rear bench seat when I bought it in 2005.
I had to take a steel rod and clear the foam out of the channels so water would drain out.
I want to put a storage hatch in the bench and I'm thinking maybe I should remove all foam
because it may be waterlogged. Did tracker use closed cell foam in 2005 ?
I never covered the boat over the last 14 years and noticed a slower top speed over the years.
Anyone here had a problem with waterlogged foam in their Grizzly jon boat ?

If I recall correctly the bottom 4" of foam are required by USCG standards to be a closed-cell hydrocarbon stable type, but that doesn't mean it won't take on water if left submerged in standing water.

Hiya Grizz. I don't know about Grizzly jon boats specifically but it seems like I read about this problem pretty often in aluminum as well as glass boats. Probably not what you wanted to hear. Maybe when you open things up for the hatch you can check and go from there.

Just took a core sample with a 1.5 " PVC pipe ,put some teeth on the end and drilled to the bottom, soaked like a sponge.

Looks like the same foam from top to bottom. Drilled two holes and what came out of the pipe is about 2 or 3 LBS

LDUBS said:
Hiya Grizz. I don't know about Grizzly jon boats specifically but it seems like I read about this problem pretty often in aluminum as well as glass boats. Probably not what you wanted to hear. Maybe when you open things up for the hatch you can check and go from there.

It's all good , kinda happy, that explains where my top end speed went... lol

Started removing waterlogged foam this evening ,got maybe a cubic foot out , 10lbs .
Thinking there could be 70lbs in the front of boat.
IMGP3660 (2).jpg

Round hatch for the hole. Going to use plastic bottles for flotation
IMGP3661 (2).jpg

Waiting for the hatch to get here for the rear bench. I believe there could be 100lbs of watterlogged foam there.

Removed waterlogged foam from rear bench and installed hatch. Got well over 100lbs of it out, was able to leave the foam on top and remove the 4" of waterlogged foam from bottom. will fill back in with the blue foam from HD and put under floor to make up for storage space in bench.IMGP3802.jpgIMGP3801~1.jpg

What foam did you use? My boat didn't have any and I want to put foam in under the floor for sound deadening and safety. From what I have seen from the pour foam, it doesn't seem to give you much control over how much it will expand so I'm hesitant to go that route.

Pector55 said:
What foam did you use? My boat didn't have any and I want to put foam in under the floor for sound deadening and safety. From what I have seen from the pour foam, it doesn't seem to give you much control over how much it will expand so I'm hesitant to go that route.

Sorry for the late reply, I see a lot of folks use the blue Styrofoam board from Home depot or Lowe's. I used plastic water bottles in the front of my Grizzly.

1648grizz said:
Pector55 said:

Sorry for the late reply, I see a lot of folks use the blue Styrofoam board from Home depot or Lowe's. I used plastic water bottles in the front of my Grizzly.

No worries, I filled mine with 2# pour foam. It's amazing how sturdy it made the decking.

Latest posts