Complete overhaul!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassman501

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am starting a new project boat that I picked up super cheap off Craigslist. Some of the details have been straightforward but I have run into a few snags that I could use some help.

I started by cutting out the front bench. i liked an idea that I saw on here where a guy left some of the bench and used it as a support for the deck. I wanted to keep the deck as low as possible so that it would be more stable and I could put an adjustable seat in the front. I also will use the boat to duck hunt so having the deck low, gives me space for decoy bags. I was able to utilize the sides of the seat as cubby holes for random junk and I also added a cup holder and will be mounting the fish finder on the other side with a RAM mount. I realized that the aluminum was too flimsy so I cut some angled aluminum and riveted it onto the top. It is strong enough that I can stand on it now. I also bought some door strips off Amazon to run around the sharp edges. This part of the project went great. I put a smaller deck on the front for the trolling motor and cut a hatch in the top for storage of life jackets, anchors, fire extinguisher, and the junk that usually gets forgotten about and ends up on the floor. I still need to carpet and put everything together. I have a trolling motor on the way to build the bracket and run wiring.

Now onto the back of the boat. I knew that there were some problems with corrosion but I did not realize how bad it was. I took it by a shop and the guy said that the wood seemed solid and I should be able to clean up the corrosion. How wrong he was! The wood was completely rotted out and the transom where the motor was mounted crumbled in my fingers when I pulled off the board they had tacked on (it was pressure treated, which caused some of the corrosion and put on with regular screws which had caused more corrosion). I ended up cutting the top of the transom off and will be buying a 4' section of aluminum channel to go back over it after I put in the new wood. I am also going to use the metal from the front seat to build a new panel for the back. Since it is above the water line and I will be epoxying the wood onto the boat, I can rivet the new panel on without any problems.

Now for my problems:

With the angled brackets on the ends of the boat, there is no way to get the wood back in one piece. Has anyone dealt with this before? Will I have to cut the wood into three pieces and then bracket it in and bolt it to the frame? I also saw a guy that cut the angled braces off the boat but I do not know anyone that can weld aluminum and putting those back on would cost me more than the boat.

There are small pinhole sized corrosion holes just in the back. Only a few are below the water line but I am not sure how to patch these up and and stop the corrosion.

Thanks for any help, I will keep updating on the build as it goes.

Attachments

• IMG_20190808_200115.jpg
    IMG_20190808_200115.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 788
  • IMG_20190809_130441.jpg
    IMG_20190809_130441.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 788
  • IMG_20190810_142342(1).jpg
    IMG_20190810_142342(1).jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 788
  • IMG_20190810_142849.jpg
    IMG_20190810_142849.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 788
  • IMG_20190810_155937.jpg
    IMG_20190810_155937.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 788
Wow that transom looks bad. Do you have the leftover tin from the middle seat in one piece? I would use that as a cheap patch for the transom. You would need to seriously neutralize and clean that corrosion or it will continue to spread. The patch could be done with stainless bolts, nylon washers, locknuts, and 3m 5200. The outboard motor bolts will keep it secure as well.

Yes you will will need to remove the corner caps to do the transom correctly but can rivet them back on if welding isn't an option.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

You would need to seriously neutralize and clean that corrosion or it will continue to spread. The patch could be done with stainless bolts, nylon washers, locknuts, and 3m 5200.
Heed that caution SERIOUSLY, as that hull appears to be showing signs of chloride precipitate corrosion that if not fully cut out or removed, WILL keep spreading and spreading.

Use a magnifying glass in good light and cut each existing hole bigger until you see ZERO evidence of any ‘white’ corrosion. All tin must be etched and primed before attempting any repair.

I did keep the aluminum from the seat and its just about the right size. I will size it up later and see how much I can fix with that patch. Thanks!

DaleH said:
You would need to seriously neutralize and clean that corrosion or it will continue to spread. The patch could be done with stainless bolts, nylon washers, locknuts, and 3m 5200.
Heed that caution SERIOUSLY, as that hull appears to be showing signs of chloride precipitate corrosion that if not fully cut out or removed, WILL keep spreading and spreading.

Use a magnifying glass in good light and cut each existing hole bigger until you see ZERO evidence of any ‘white’ corrosion. All tin must be etched and primed before attempting any repair.

Thanks, I have cut out everything that I can to stop the corrosion. I just replied to another guy but I am using the aluminum from the seat that I removed as patches and have angled it to replace a few brackets that were corroding. The hull looks great, it just just in that back section that has the corrosion. Is there any way to neutralize that corrosion?

Well I have gotten some great feedback so far, one more question.

Has anyone had a jon boat with those pods in the back before? Are they structural or just for flotation? There are some small spots of corrosion in there that would be easily fixed if I could take them out and that would also solve my problem of getting the new transom wood back in one piece. Where I can poke the foam inside, it crumbles so I am not sure how much flotation it is really providing anymore.

Thanks!

bassman501 said:
Well I have gotten some great feedback so far, one more question.

Has anyone had a jon boat with those pods in the back before? Are they structural or just for flotation? There are some small spots of corrosion in there that would be easily fixed if I could take them out and that would also solve my problem of getting the new transom wood back in one piece. Where I can poke the foam inside, it crumbles so I am not sure how much flotation it is really providing anymore.

Thanks!
Likely they are flotation and structure. See that brace in the middle of the transom? They are also helping to support the transom from the forward torque. But I think you should take them out to deal with the corrosion (I can see what you are worried about) but would replace them once cleaned and transom wood replaced. Can you see if they are riveted or welded in?

A friendly PSA....on boat projects work back to front! That nice floor you made could be worthless if you have a shot motor or transom!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Latest posts