Here's my blank slate.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSUbass

Reaction score
Frist off, I bought a duck boat/ fishing pirogue from a guy for $300 (too much) because I wanted something small. Then, as all us guys do we decide we want something bigger. Anyways, I wanted a Jon after seeing this website, but I didnt want to spend anymore money, so I traded my pirogue for this 14' x 5' V-hull (do you think I got a good deal?)

Ok, here come my questions. It has some small leaks, what is my best course of action? Epoxy or get it welded or what? Second, as you can see the benches are hung down, so am I right thinking they could be removed without having structural issues? Lastly, I might decide to keep them in and just lay the decking over them, is it a problem to have the deck so far below the gunwale? Everybody puts theirs up so high, but I figured this way would save me some bracing. I'm sure I'll have more questions to ask later, but that's it for know, thanks.

The Old Boat.

IMG00368.jpg

The New Boat (Minus the motor of course)

henry2.jpg

I think you made a wise trade :wink: Nice boat.

Where are the leaks at?

I'd remove the center seat, and use the front ones for deck mounting, just span the 2 with something suitable & sheet it. It's easier than trying to fit framing to the floor.

You'd be fine on height, matter of fact I prefer it down rather than being up high, keels the center of gravity lower in the boat. Besides, you'll still be setting on an elevated seat.

ST

Excellent trade! 8) . I don't see too many structural ribs inside the hull, none running up the sides (looking at pic). Personally, I'd leave all the seats, deck across them (with some below-deck structure) and have some nice storage space underneath.

Don't deal with those leaks and weak seats.I'll give you what you what you originally started with,$300. :p

Just kidding. \:D/

I think you got a steal of a deal.

Have you seen this thread? https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3156 Lots of great info for free.Many have done the same thing you are proposing.Check it out.You may find something more to your liking.

henry3.jpg

OK, so I started the lovely task of stripping paint. It sucks, but it isnt all that bad. However, I am realizing how much work this is going to be, and I find myself questioning if I really want to do it, lol.

Anyways, for fixing small leaks, should I go with Gluvit or Steelflex? And will they do ok by themselves, or should I reenforce with 5200?

thanks

I would try rebucking the rivets and filling the boat with water.Where it leaks I would use 5200 inside and gulvit on the exterior.Then paint with a quality marine paint.That boat is to straight to skimp on.If you ever think you may sell or trade,it will pay off to have a quality paint job,even if it's DIY job.

Latest posts