Input/Suggestions on smoothing ridges

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnglerRoy

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

I’d like your thoughts and/or guidance on how, or what, I should use to smooth ridges between Aluminum pieces before priming/painting.

For example, once I reattach my rub rails, there is about 1/16” height difference between the rail and the deck of the boat. I want to smooth this out before paint.

I was thinking bondo, but then I thought any flexing of the hull will crack that. Then I thought Latex caulk but my primer and paint is oil based. So I then thought, silicone caulk but my experience with that is nothing sticks to it!

What could I use that would be flexible, something I could smooth out (or sand ideally), and have primer stick to it and be durable?

Thanks in advance for your help!

maintenanceguy said:
I need photos.

Here are some examples...

366f1c52f58e91451fba9b08df4d505e.jpg
8b24e30b5688cf5e546616b73e108e07.jpg
60b45718d3f304078270bb1e23f76cba.jpg

AnglerRoy said:
LDUBS said:
Epoxy paste & do a fillet? It is used on think skin plywood boats. Don't know why it wouldn't work for your application.

What’s an epoxy paste? Like fiberglass?

It is two part epoxy with a filler to give it a thicker paste like consistency. It can be used as a gap filler. It is frequently used to makes fillets where two pieces come together.

Now that I've said all that, after looking at your photos I would probably use an aluminum friendly caulk that that I could apply using a standard caulking gun. I hope DaleH is reading this because if memory serves he had a marine caulk product suggestion that might work well for this application. I'll circle back with the name if I can find it.

I found the product DaleH mentioned.

Here is a copy of his post from another thread:

"by DaleH » 19 Jun 2019, 20:05

I like and prefer LifeCaulk by BoatLife, and it too is a urethane goop like 3M 5200, but it is not a traditional caulk. It too is sandable and paintable.
Their tubes last year's, whereas 3M tubes don't last a season or as long (as they harden up)."

Hope this helps (thanks to DaleH).

PS: I've never used this or other marine caulk products on a seam. For typical silicone or latex or painters caulks, I keep a spray bottle of water with a little dish soap mixed in. A light spray after applying the caulk makes it easier to work consistently with less "smearing" and makes it easier to remove any excess.

So I ordered a tube of this stuff, it states that it needs to be applied over paint. Has anyone tried applying primer to it and then painting it?

I’ll do a small test bead of it on a strip of sheet metal and report back but was curious if others have painted this stuff (once cured of course)?

To both, ideally should go over primed tin, but can apply over paint and is sandable and paintable. I actually use a gloved finger wetter in dish of dishwashing detergent to blend a nice smooth radius or contour and never sand it myself.

DaleH said:
To both, ideally should go over primed tin, but can apply over paint and is sandable and paintable. I actually use a gloved finger wetter in dish of dishwashing detergent to blend a nice smooth radius or contour and never sand it myself.

That’s perfect. Thanks Dale!

Latest posts