2004 PT175 Floor replacement alternative

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pt175ept

Reaction score
Hello TinBoats!

I might be in here often because I will be recarpeting and redoing my plumbing and possibly electrical as well in the coming months. Been putting it off for a while now, and really gotta do it.

I have a PT175 and the floor has a soft spot by the drain hole. Its gotten worse in the 2 years of ownership I have had the boat, and it really is time to make the change. I hear these boats are notoriously difficult to recarpet so not looking forward to it. But since im doing it...and I dont think woods the best idea on a boat imo Im wondering if there are any proven alternatives out there that arent hard to work with?

I called a sheet metal place and am waiting on a quote....hoping its not a crazy number cuz thatd prolly be the best I would figure? Anything else I can use instead of wood? I had a buddy mention coosa board...but I had never heard of it before he mentioned it. Seems like a plastic type thing? Anyone have any luck with that stuff, or anything else?

Thanks.

I have a tracker pro crappie and am not excited about redoing it. I will hold off as long as I can. I am not sure the floor bracing is close enough for thin alum sheets but maybe. I hear coosa is expensive. I bet two sheets of marine plywood would do the entire boat.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Well sealed exterior plywood + keeping the boat covered = lasts a long time.

If you leave the screw heads exposed, then it is not very hard to replace 10 years from now.

I'm seeing some brace the sub-floor with aluminum and lay .040" aluminum sheets on it for a floor but after that do you just lay carpet over it? Glue carpet? or lay down something like gator skin?

Properly treated exterior plywood will last a very long time. The key is to not letting it sit out in the weather and just soak up water. I rebuilt a tracker floor once but went back with.125 aluminum sheet. It really made the whole boat feel more rigid, plus I never had to worry about wet floor wood. Take care and measure carefully, if you go this route, everything will be off close to a 1/2" in height due to not having the wood thickness.

Latest posts