1960’s 16’ Aluminum V-hull Mystery Boat Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kansas_Nova

Reaction score
I just bought a 16’ (15’ 8”) aluminum V hull with a 1965 Johnson 33 on the transom.

I’ve already torn out the old floor and seats and am planning on putting a new floor in, time will tell whether I shell out the money for an aluminum floor or if I end up going with treated plywood like I usually do.

there’s no I’d tag on the hull and I am trying to find a manufacturer of it so I can have an idea of what it was just for curiosity sake. It has a textured side rail, gunwhales and sides of the hull and used to have that same across the front where there was a bow cap similar to an old Lonestar or Starcraft. But this texturing is throwing me off it’s like what’s on a fishing net handle on an aluminum pole if I had to describe it. Like knurling but on the entire boat except for the bottom of the hull and the transom. This thing is built beefy with 2” square tubing ribs every foot on the hull. Should make for a good fishing rig when I ditch the old cable steer and put a good floor in it.

I’ll try and throw up some pictures here soon.

if anybody can help ID the boat that would be great!

The hull shape is a little odd almost like a river boat or a canal boat in a way.
ATTACH]

Seems I have relatively recently seen pic's of a boat with that same texture on the hull skin. Good chance it was here on TB.net. If I run across them again I'll be happy to circle back.

You say that you are going to use PT plywood? You may want to go through some of the posts on here, about using pressure treated wood of any kind. Pressure treated wood creates a chemical reaction with aluminum.

Kansas_Nova said:
I just bought a 16’ (15’ 8”) aluminum V hull with a 1965 Johnson 33 on the transom.

I’ve already torn out the old floor and seats and am planning on putting a new floor in, time will tell whether I shell out the money for an aluminum floor or if I end up going with treated plywood like I usually do.

there’s no I’d tag on the hull and I am trying to find a manufacturer of it so I can have an idea of what it was just for curiosity sake. It has a textured side rail, gunwhales and sides of the hull and used to have that same across the front where there was a bow cap similar to an old Lonestar or Starcraft. But this texturing is throwing me off it’s like what’s on a fishing net handle on an aluminum pole if I had to describe it. Like knurling but on the entire boat except for the bottom of the hull and the transom. This thing is built beefy with 2” square tubing ribs every foot on the hull. Should make for a good fishing rig when I ditch the old cable steer and put a good floor in it.

I’ll try and throw up some pictures here soon.

if anybody can help ID the boat that would be great!

The hull shape is a little odd almost like a river boat or a canal boat in a way.

As some others have said, don't use treated plywood. It will eat the aluminum. Use marine grade or regular plywood sealed.

Latest posts