1440 Smokercraft jon conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverbronzeback

Reaction score
I posted before and finally am going to try to post pictures. 1440 Smokercraft jon with front and rear deck with 1958 johnson 18 hp that i got running with help from guys on this site.

Attachments

• update boat 1.jpg
    update boat 1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 2,215
  • update boat 2.jpg
    update boat 2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 2,249
The boat looks wonderful.Try to get the boat up on the trailer a little farther.The bunks may need to be lengthened.The outboard pulling down on the unsupported transom will cause the rear of the hull to develop a hook.This could be dangerous.A hull with a hook tries to drive the nose down into the water.Just want you to be aware of this,because it's a safety issue.

i agree take the front roller mount off and bring it up closer then see how much hangs off then maybe all you will have to do is lengthen the bunks.the boat looks good

Man,we all see the same thing.
Looks like you can easily gain a foot just by moving your bow roller up,maybe more if you move the winch post up alittle to.
Boat looks great.

I'd ditch the front roller for a flat carpeted block also (or something similar). The roller will push dents into it.

ST

Yeah, havent really done much to the trailer. Was used for my older v bottom. Will start work on the trailer this winter. Thanks for the tips. New i needed to do something but wasnt really sure. Still need to wire it up for lights and get a trolling motor. Old one quit on me. All costs $$$ which i dont have. Bought the boat for 250 and had the trailer. Did the conversion as cheap as i could and be fuctional for me. I used osb(i know its a no no but sealed the crap out of it) framing out of 2X3 and carpet is waterproof backed cut pile commercial carpet(free). Removed middle seat for more walking room and so my 5year old son could go from front to back without having to step over a seat. I use a small lawn and garden battery for fishfinder and bilge pump(very light and lasts a long time) will add trolling battery when i replace trolling motor. Its not perfect but works well for me. Seems to be pretty stable and the 18hp johnson moves it real well. I grew up in v bottoms and this is my first jon. Thanks for the comments. Its great to be part of these forums cause ive been reading for months.

that is a good price you got a real good job don't worry about what you used to deck it as long as you are able to catch fish again once you get the trailer work out it well be nice