Greetings to all

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swfl_fishin

Reaction score
This is my first post, but I have been reading the site for awhile now. I recently bought this Jon Boat and by my measurements, it is a 1432. I would love to put a deck on it, not so much for a casting deck, but definitely for organization purposes. I have taken it fishing a couple of times, and there is zero organization. I've looked at the couple of 1432 mods on here, but there aren't really any specifics (size of plywood, etc.) I know that with a width of 32", I have to be careful with building the deck too high because of stability, but I don't know how high is too high. I would love to hear some thoughts. Specifically, I would love for those with modded 1432 boats to give me some direction. I have posted a couple pictures for reference. Thanks to everyone.

Attachments

• CIMG3420_thumb.jpg
    CIMG3420_thumb.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,753
  • CIMG3419_thumb.jpg
    CIMG3419_thumb.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,784
Looks like a nice boat to mod.
Welcome to the site; at 4 in the morning.

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining! :beer:

In my opinion a 1432 is too narrow for a deck. Up that high it will be very tipsy and uncomfortable for you. Your best bet if you want to do anything is make a nice level floor in between the benches and then add a small pedestal and seats to the benches. This way you can stand it you need to, and you can sit all day not crunched up on a bench. If I had your boat, That is what I would do.

Good luck, looking forward to hearing what you decide to do/try.

Jim

Welcome aboard mate :D

Nice boat, looks like its taken care of.

I will agree with Jim's post

Go with a floor, as for organizing try lifting the floor 3 to 4 inches of the ribs, this way you can creat storage, well here this is what I did

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3586

Check out the middle floor mod, let me know if you have questions.

later

:WELCOME: Aboard!

Nice boat you have there... looks like a fun one to mod. Best of luck!

What's the angle towards the bow (on the 1st rib) for? I'd 3/4" deck the floors between the seats (or consider removing the center one), carpet them, and add 2 pin-style seats on the decking, then open up the seats for storage compartments. I too agree with not raising the decks, unless it was a shortin in the front for a trolling motor.

The rest would depend on where you want your trolling motor, and if you plan to run a gas motor or not.......

And welcome! :wink:
ST

SlimeTime said:
What's the angle towards the bow (on the 1st rib) for?
That's a good question. I figured it was a repair job of the previous owner.

SlimeTime said:
The rest would depend on where you want your trolling motor, and if you plan to run a gas motor or not.......
I don't have a trolling motor at the moment. I am running a 5hp Tohatsu that I got with the boat.

I'm really just interested in how to do the storage. I will definitely deck the floors, but that doesn't really buy me anything in the way of storage.

Here are the things that I definitely want to do:
  • Add bilge pump
    Add lights (nav and anchor)
    Add a livewell
    Add an area for dry storage
    Add a tackle storage area (like for Plano style boxes)

FishingBuds said:
Check out the middle floor mod, let me know if you have questions.

I like what you did with the floor, but 3 or 4 inches won't give me much in the way of storage, will it? Plus I need all of my Coast Guard gear. Any suggestions?

I've got a 1432 light weight (thin gauge aluminium). I used 3/4 ply on the floor directly on top of the ribs. I had used 2x2's on top of the ribs, but it was just not very stable. As far as adding more storage - I cut out the top of the middle and front (bow) benches and took out the foam. In the bow, is where I put the dock rope, anchor. The middle section I cut the center out, removed the foam, and that's where I put the batteries, life jackets, etc. (stuff needed incase of emergency, but not really planned on using. Then I added a 16" extension bench towards the rear. This is where I put all of my tackle, cooler and where I stored my portable radio and a portable lantern.

I put a 7" pedastal seat on the rear bench with 1/2"ply. Then in the front, I laid another piece of 3/4" ply, and put a 12" pedestal on top bolted into the ribs. I placed the seat closer to the middle bench so that I could stretch my legs out or run a front trolling motor comfortably.

Once I added all the weight, that boat was pretty stable. I'm still not sure how stable it would be if the deck was raised, but you can always put a 2x4 under the middle decking, run them on top of the ribs and you'll have about 4-5 inches of storage underneath. I wouldn't cut up the ply decking for storage yet though, just to make sure that there is enough stability...

Looks like they'd already added wood to the seats, I wonder if the angle was for a forward deck? Are there any holes in it? How is it attached to the hull, welded?

At the top of this page is pinned lots of links to members mods, spend some time looking through them all & I'm sure you'll see something that will work for you, or make any number of combinations of mods.

ST

It is welded, but I don't see any holes. I got some ideas and I guess I just need to dive into it. I will post pics as I progress.

russ010 said:
I've got a 1432 light weight (thin gauge aluminium). I used 3/4 ply on the floor directly on top of the ribs. I had used 2x2's on top of the ribs, but it was just not very stable. As far as adding more storage - I cut out the top of the middle and front (bow) benches and took out the foam. In the bow, is where I put the dock rope, anchor. The middle section I cut the center out, removed the foam, and that's where I put the batteries, life jackets, etc. (stuff needed incase of emergency, but not really planned on using. Then I added a 16" extension bench towards the rear. This is where I put all of my tackle, cooler and where I stored my portable radio and a portable lantern.

I put a 7" pedastal seat on the rear bench with 1/2"ply. Then in the front, I laid another piece of 3/4" ply, and put a 12" pedestal on top bolted into the ribs. I placed the seat closer to the middle bench so that I could stretch my legs out or run a front trolling motor comfortably.

Once I added all the weight, that boat was pretty stable. I'm still not sure how stable it would be if the deck was raised, but you can always put a 2x4 under the middle decking, run them on top of the ribs and you'll have about 4-5 inches of storage underneath. I wouldn't cut up the ply decking for storage yet though, just to make sure that there is enough stability...

Hey Russ. I would love to see some pictures of what you did with your boat. Do you have any pics?