Got my Boat 1998 Smokercraft Voyager 14

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atb

Reaction score
Just brought it home and gotta get to the drawing board for changes. The trailer needs some adjustments right off the bat, the boat isnt far enough up to support the transom on the bunk and the trailer also looks set up for a flat bottom jon not a deep v simple fix with a roller.

Attachments

• IMG_1955.JPG
    IMG_1955.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 6,152
  • IMG_1956.JPG
    IMG_1956.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 6,154
  • IMG_1957.JPG
    IMG_1957.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 6,155
  • IMG_1959.JPG
    IMG_1959.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 6,155
  • IMG_1958.JPG
    IMG_1958.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 6,157
  • IMG_1960.JPG
    IMG_1960.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 6,161
  • IMG_1961.JPG
    IMG_1961.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 6,164
  • IMG_1963.JPG
    IMG_1963.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 6,162
  • IMG_1966.JPG
    IMG_1966.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 6,163
Worried a bit about the crusty looking caulk in the first 2 photos not the smartest thing buying a boat in Michigan no open water in sight for a least 2 months. Some other photos. See pretty scratched up in the last photo.

Attachments

• IMG_1968.JPG
    IMG_1968.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 6,123
  • IMG_1961.JPG
    IMG_1961.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 6,124
  • IMG_1972.JPG
    IMG_1972.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 6,128
  • IMG_1973.JPG
    IMG_1973.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 6,128
Congratulations. From what I can see in teh photo the boat appears sound. The crusty stuff looks like normal wear - not to worry.

Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress

Oh yeah - fix that trailer ASAP

what are your plans for the boat? i have a 92 smokercraft wide deep V. it's 14.5 feet long with a 25 hp. the boat was very stable especially with the kids. good luck with your plans.

atb said:
Worried a bit about the crusty looking caulk in the first 2 photos
If that is the most you are worried about, you have no issues. Good luck fishing out of it when the water softens up a bit.

krusher said:
what are your plans for the boat? i have a 92 smokercraft wide deep V. it's 14.5 feet long with a 25 hp. the boat was very stable especially with the kids. good luck with your plans.
Krusher
I am looking at adding a front casting deck, trolling motor, add back deck some lockable storage all in aluminum framing at least. Paint the inside with textured sound deading stuff and do the rest of the boat in my favorite color... camo with camo clad. I am in strip down mode right now got the old 2nd wood flooring area yanked out over the weekend between kids sporting events, sledding and the super bowl.

Well, I really like the idea for the rod holder, I think its neat. Not that I wouldn't remove them, but nice style and idea!

Hey ATB, I have the exact same boat! Same year, same color- the only thing different is mine is has a long-shaft transom. I see yours has a floor of some type already in it. Have you looked to see what it has for support under there? I'll be starting renovations on mine in about a week, so hopefully we can bounce ideas off of each other. Of course, I'm not too proud to just duplicate what you do if you've got it all planned out!

GOOD NEWS:
Got my aluminum framing today 8 8 foot 1x1x1/16 6061 sq. tube and 2 8 foot 1x1x1/16 6061 angle and 8 2x4 by 1/8 aluminum sheet. Cut 14 support brackets after the kids went to bed.
BAD NEWS:
Need to borrow neighbors plug in sawzall my 18volter blew through the batteries quick. Need to change initial design v-hull causing problems I was going to create box like frames and only rest them one the bottom and bench seats til I could water test it. Was going to use bench seat as support for back deck but the 1 inch rise would put me almost over the transom. Back to the drawing board, open to ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_1982.JPG
    IMG_1982.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 5,661
  • IMG_1976.JPG
    IMG_1976.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 5,660
  • IMG_1981.JPG
    IMG_1981.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 5,662
crappie-attitude said:
Hey ATB, I have the exact same boat! Same year, same color- the only thing different is mine is has a long-shaft transom. I see yours has a floor of some type already in it. Have you looked to see what it has for support under there? I'll be starting renovations on mine in about a week, so hopefully we can bounce ideas off of each other. Of course, I'm not too proud to just duplicate what you do if you've got it all planned out!
CA
They were wood so I actually took em out. My wife didnt approve she said those were the best looking things on the whole boat! They wedged and I mean wedged (I had to cut them out) in the ridge right above the riveted area and had screwed appropriate height PVC tubing in the bottom for center support. Good luck on your project.

and do the rest of the boat in my favorite color... camo with camo clad

im gonna be jelious. that camo clad is sweet but alittle expesive. if work ever picks up, thats what ill be wraping my boat with

Some framing progress. Decided to power up and sold the 9.9 Merc. 2 stroke currently hunting for a 15 to 20 hp 4 stroke to replace. Still working on how to support deck in the stern front of bench and how to frame the back spot without not having enough room for the gas tank.

Attachments

• IMG_1984.JPG
    IMG_1984.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 4,901
  • IMG_1985.JPG
    IMG_1985.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 4,903
  • IMG_1986.JPG
    IMG_1986.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 4,902
atb said:
Some framing progress. Decided to power up and sold the 9.9 Merc. 2 stroke currently hunting for a 15 to 20 hp 4 stroke to replace. Still working on how to support deck in the stern front of bench and how to frame the back spot without not having enough room for the gas tank.
looks good

Waterwings said:
Just thinking outloud, but concerning the decking of the rear area, do you already have a fuel can, and does it sit low enough so as not to interfere with a deck/hatch? :-k

WW
I do have the fuel tank, and I checked that out and will be OK height wise. The photos of the farthest stern pit are on page 1 second to last post on bottom to check out what I am working with. What might not be ok is if I support the deck off of the rib the gas tank wont come out unless I turn it sideways prime for gas leakage. Thanks for looking and suggestions.

atb said:
CA
They were wood so I actually took em out. My wife didnt approve she said those were the best looking things on the whole boat! They wedged and I mean wedged (I had to cut them out) in the ridge right above the riveted area and had screwed appropriate height PVC tubing in the bottom for center support. Good luck on your project.

Somewhat funny you cut them out and I'm getting ready to put something similar in. I finally got a chance to get started and decided against going with aluminum, mainly because of cost, but also because carpeted wood should be quieter and it's cheaper/easier to fix if I screw something up!

Your project is looking good! =D>

crappie-attitude said:
atb said:
I finally got a chance to get started and decided against going with aluminum, mainly because of cost, but also because carpeted wood should be quieter and it's cheaper/easier to fix if I screw something up!

Your project is looking good! =D>

thanks CA, You may be on to something. I am having some post purchase remorse of choosing aluminum. I am sure its user error but like you said I have screwed things up and have numerous pieces of aluminum cut a hair too short, parts that didnt fit right that I have had to drill out a bunch of rivets too fix. The weight I dont know if it is a huge benefit the 1/8 inch plate I bought 2x4 8 sheets weight 112 lbs all the squared tube and angle weighed 60lbs. I am having a hard time getting a clean precise cut. Tried used mitre saw with metal cutting disk left a nasty non squared end, hacksaw cut straightest and cleanest but I may be ready for social security benefits by the time I finish I am only 39, the Sawzall has been the lesser of evils cleaner cut than the mitre with a disk and easiser and faster than the hacksaw. Good luck with your project.

Things progressing along. Got my power upgrade found a good deal on a 2003 Tohatsu 18hp 4 stroke like new for a third the cost. 2 floor area framing almost done. Found that a little rem oil on the sawzall and drill bit make cutting and drilling aluminum much easier and with cleaner cuts. I know useless with out photos get them later.

photos of framing floor almost done and new used motor.

Attachments

• IMG_2030.JPG
    IMG_2030.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,837
  • IMG_2032.JPG
    IMG_2032.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,838
  • IMG_2029.JPG
    IMG_2029.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,837
  • IMG_2028.JPG
    IMG_2028.JPG