1232 boat conversion tips??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobby1

Reaction score
first i gotta say, i am so glad i found this site. my wife thinks im crazy for wanting to pimp my boat. haha. its nice to know there are people out there who enjoy the same stuff i do. i have been inspired by all of your pics but im not seeing very many 1232 at all. i was thinking about doing an elevated floor and close the back off for storage and same with the bow. also, has anyone ever taken the center seat out, if i decide to should i replace it with ribs or will a short platform make it sturdy enough. does anyone have any pics or advise for a 12 ft. conversion. im not trying to make a casting platform but i just want to make it my own. thanks and i appreciate any comments.

You can remove the center bench IF the ribs run up the sides.If they only run side to side,it's not a good idea.1232 is a little narrow for elevated floors or decks.It will be tippy.Adding a floor over the ribs is a good idea.It dampens the sound from the hull and keeps from spooking fish.Remember sound travels a fairly long distance under water.Don't use pressure treated lumber.It has copper that will corrode aluminum really quick.Also,use stainless steel hardware.Zinc and galvanized hardware will cause corrosion.Others will chime in with more options.

thanks for your advise. i made the trip to lowes today and bought some lumber and hardware. i came home and started working on the flooring. i will probably post some pics later today or tomorrow. i do have some other questions.
1. would you suggest spray adhesive or glue to lay the carpet?
2. would adding foam under the flooring panel help with flotation enough to make a difference?
thanks for any input and i will post my progress as i go.

welcome aboard!

1- spray or glue - it's your decision.. but if I were to do it, I would use the spray adhesive because it works just as well as the glue from most applications I've seen lately where I fish

2 - The foam in your boat doesn't help it float - UNLESS it has capsized or turned over out on the water... it doesn't help with it floating while you're in it.

well, i have started my boat mod and i have to say, it is very relaxing. i am starting with a lowe 1232 that i have herculined the bottom of.CIMG5651.JPG

i just started building the floor and the back seat. i want to make everything so that it is removable. i usually fish by myself but every now and then a buddy comes or my wife joins me. with my boat being so small i wanted to be able to take the floor panels out to save the weight. here are some pics of the floor and the rear bench seat so far.
CIMG5652.JPG
CIMG5653.JPG
CIMG5654.JPG
CIMG5655.JPG

i was wondering what you guys think about these lid ideas. i cut out some 1x2 to fit under the lid cut outs but if i put them on the top of the seat i could use a cleat as a handle. then instead of carpeting them i could just stain the lid and carpet the seat. or do you like the lid flush with the seat and just hinge it. im interested to see what you guys think. here are some pics.

CIMG5656.JPG
CIMG5657.JPG

well, thats what i was able to get done so far, im going to try and finish all of the woodwork, then protectant, then carpet. again, any advise or suggestions let me know. for now, its a trip to cabelas to look for some cool little add ons, cup holders, battery gauge, who knows what else. i got a gift card there for christmas and this is perfect stuff to spend it on.

CIMG5658.JPG
CIMG5659.JPG :D

well, I have managed to make some progress on the boat. I've started to put the carpet but we have had a cold spell lately and a 20 degree garage is not fun to work in. I was able to borrow a friends kerosene heater and then the work started to get done a little more. (gotta get me one of them). well here are some more pics and i will post some more as i go. by the way does anyone know the best place to buy battery cable at? I've looked around but was wondering if you guys know of any great deals. thanks again for the input. the forum is one of the coolest things i've seen in a while.

Picture 001.JPG
Picture 002.JPG
Picture 003.JPG
Picture 004.JPG

Looking good so far.....

I guess this is a little late but here's my 1236 Conversion...

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2851

all right, i had the time to take some more pics and post them. here are some pics of the finished seats and platforms. next will be mounting the on board charger and putting in outlets and such. still waiting to buy some battery cable, if anyone sees a good deal online please let me know. thanks for your help and input.

CIMG6172.JPG
CIMG6173.JPG
CIMG6174.JPG
CIMG6175.JPG

Latest posts