cutting out the center seat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarker2000

Reaction score
I have a question for anyone that could help. I am almost finished painting my latest jon boat project and construction is getting ready to start.

My question is; what is the easiest way to get cut a rectangle out of the bench seat area in order to make additional storage? Is the foam hard to get out? How would you go about tackling this job? I would rather not remove the whole seat.

Also, what is the best way to attach framing to the sides of the boat?

This guy did a nice job but I dont really grasp how the frame is connected to the side of the boat?
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=964
Thanks

i use a die grinder but a regular power grinder with a cutting blade will do you fine. drilling a hole and using a jig saw will also do the job. once you get to the foam just use a razor knife to cut your rectangle out if your not going to do away with the whole foam block

most people use brackets from home depot or ect and rivit or bolt them on with alittle marine sealant to attach the framing. in most cases you dont really need to fasten the framing to the side of the boat, just the ribs on the bottom and to the benches.

hope this helps ya

I used a jig saw to cut the top of my seat out... then used a hack saw blade (just the blad itself) to cut the foam, then used clothes hangers, pieces of wood, or whatever else I could find to pull that foam up with and out of the bench

clarker2000 said:
This guy did a nice job but I dont really grasp how the frame is connected to the side of the boat?
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=964
Thanks

I don't think he attached it to the side of the boat... his supports are all that are connecting his deck to the boat. As long as you use the right size wood for decking (1/2-3/4" ply, but I prefer 5/8 exterior ply) you won't have a problem with it "giving in" on the sides

Recipro or jig saw will be your best bet for the seat top. Don't use a die grinder unless you find the right blade for aluminum, which Lowes, Home Depot etc. do NOT sell. In fact, short of reports from folks in the Navy, I still cannot find cutoff disks made for aluminum (only grinding wheels), and I have been searching for 6 months or more. An improper disk (one made for steel) gums up real easy, and short of routine dressing (which is not exactly recommended, more of a band aid cure), the gummed up blade will overheat, and explode, which at 10,000 RPM is not the best idea....

An old bread knife works excellently for removing foam.

I did exactly what you're talking about .... although mine was experimental!

Just use your drill to drill out whatever the 4 corners are you'll want to cut. Then use your jigsaw or sawsall (def. went faster!) to connect the dots.
From there, you'll have to get the foam out, and ... well, its a pain. Have fun!

Attachments

• DSC01780 (Medium).JPG
    DSC01780 (Medium).JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 3,059
unless your buying the cheapest disks made from a fleemarket, a cutoff disk is not going to explode cutting a hole in your bench..

Yea that foam is teh debil to get out. I still have styrofoam floating around my bilge after a years time!

bAcKpAiN said:
Yea that foam is teh debil to get out. I still have styrofoam floating around my bilge after a years time!
I think we all do. :lol:

I was once stripping a Lund in the driveway. For those that don't know, Lunds are some of the best built tinnies made, and it has foam under just about every surface (decks gunwales etc) that foam could fit under. I doubt that the foam in most boats is enough to float the boat if it actually capsized, but this one left me with no doubts. Anyway, it was from before the 2 part expanding foam was used (they start with that in the late 80s, I believe). Because of previous owner abuse, it was waterlogged, and disintegrated. It all came out with a shovel. We had little dots of foam appear all over the driveway for months, and every now and then, if it rains a lot, a little bit still shows up.

I used a jigsaw, it it worked good. I used a keyhole saw to cut the foam in to smaller chunks to get out of the bench. Unfortunately, I started this process immediately after applying a coat of varnish to my transom and didn't realize how much of those little pieces were finding their way onto it. #-o .

I have a stupid foam related question and thought I would just add to this thread rather then starting a new one. The foam under the seats does nothing to help the boat float UNLESS you were to swamp it, correct? It other words, If I remove the foam and use that area for storage, the boat isnt going to sit any lower in the water then it would it I left the foam in, right?

WhiteMoose said:
I have a stupid foam related question and thought I would just add to this thread rather then starting a new one. The foam under the seats does nothing to help the boat float UNLESS you were to swamp it, correct? It other words, If I remove the foam and use that area for storage, the boat isnt going to sit any lower in the water then it would it I left the foam in, right?

Correct. The only effect of flotation the foam has on the boat is once the boat has capsized. In fact, the boat will technically be lighter (thus float higher) once the weight of the foam is removed although it's safe to assume the weight reduction is negligible.

Latest posts