Your .02 on using Marine paint for the trailer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baptistpreach

Reaction score
I've got my boat on the sawhorses right now, which means my trailer is free. I've been cleaning it off getting ready to paint it, and I was planning on using my left over marine paint on it. I figured its good paint, and it will match the boat. What do you think? Bad idea? Good idea?
Pros and Cons?

i'm leaving my trailer a nice shade of rust and 2 other colors, figure it will be the last one stolen while i'm on the lake! :lol:

yeah i'd like to paint mine too, hopefully this winter. i'll see what everyone says about the paint choice cause i have no idea. problem with mine is new paint wouldn't go with the 70's orange shag carpet that they put on the bunks!

I just bought a new 2x4 and I'm going to use my interior carpet to recarpet it. It's gonna be crazy sweet!

baptistpreach said:
I've got my boat on the sawhorses right now, which means my trailer is free. I've been cleaning it off getting ready to paint it, and I was planning on using my left over marine paint on it. I figured its good paint, and it will match the boat. What do you think? Bad idea? Good idea?
Pros and Cons?

If you will have enough to do the trailer it will work.Just rough up the surface with sand paper.I wouldn't buy marine paint just for the trailer.It's kinda expensive and I'm a cheap individual. :D

Rustoleum oil based paint, and Rustoleum primer. If you prime it properly, and let it sit a bit after painting (I have found that in the first week or so after painting, it likes to peel off), you are good to go.

I too am a cheap individual, very much so. You really have to be when you don't make tons of money! :wink: That said, its leftover! I could go over the inside of the boat with what's left.... What other paint would you recommend then that is cheaper?

baptistpreach said:
I too am a cheap individual, very much so. You really have to be when you don't make tons of money! :wink: That said, its leftover! I could go over the inside of the boat with what's left.... What other paint would you recommend then that is cheaper?
Rustoleum is about as cheap as you are going to go for a quality paint. A quart is what, around 10 bucks. I can do a 21 foot trailer (trailer you would usually see under an 18 footer - I put them under 15 footers - remember, I like overkill) with 1/2 quart of primer, and 1 quart of paint, if it is a tubing trailer, or 1 quart of primer, and 2 quarts of paint, if it is a channel trailer (more surface area). I guarantee most of these are close to twice the size of what you are dealing with, so I can't see you buying more than a quart of paint, and a quart of primer. I think they are less than 10 bucks a quart at Lowes/HD.

I took my 1956 Holsclaw trailer to the powder coater and had him pc it. It looks fantastic. This trailer has sentimental value to me and the fact that it is heavier duty than anything I could buy today for a reasonable price is the reason that I'm doing it this way. I figure if it lasted 52 years the first go around it should last another 50 this time. Here's a picture of it before I took it in and one in progress. I'll be making a thread of it here in a couple of weeks as I get time.

MikeView1 before powder coating Small.JPG

Attachments

• View of trailer  after powder coating (Small).jpg
    View of trailer after powder coating (Small).jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 1,778
More than I expected. The reasoning was that there were a whole lot of smaller parts that needed to be sandblasted before they could be pc'd. It ended up being $400. Now, in defense of that price, I went around and looked at other new trailers that were for sale and what I found was going to cost me $750+. One comparable to this one would have run $1200 easy. Plus, like I said it carries sentimental value.

WoW! It looks nice though. I sold a trailer for a 14ft boat for $160 bucks! Maybe they're worth a lot more where you live

Well see, that was used. I searched for months on craigslist for a simple jon boat trailer just so I could get my boat back out in the water and there weren't any for sale. I went back out the day before yesterday just to see what was out there and found 2 of them close by for about $150!!!

Latest posts