Just starting, need help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastysk8er

Reaction score
Hello. I just bought a 14ft V bottom boat and I had a couple questions. I have tried looking at these forums and find out how to actually do it, instead I find 100 pictures of what the boats turn out to look like.
How do you build the frame and stabilize it without screwing into the side of the boat or bottom of the boat? Do I need to put something down on all the rivets to prevent future leaking? Do you just use some kind of special glue to put the carpet in? Thank you for your help- also if you have any websites/forums that would help instruct me on how to complete the project please let me know!

Thanks for your help- Ill post pictures once I get started.

beastysk8er said:
Hello. I just bought a 14ft V bottom boat and I had a couple questions. I have tried looking at these forums and find out how to actually do it, instead I find 100 pictures of what the boats turn out to look like.
How do you build the frame and stabilize it without screwing into the side of the boat or bottom of the boat? Do I need to put something down on all the rivets to prevent future leaking? Do you just use some kind of special glue to put the carpet in? Thank you for your help- also if you have any websites/forums that would help instruct me on how to complete the project please let me know!

Thanks for your help- Ill post pictures once I get started.

You have found it!!! There are a ton of talented folks on this forum and they are always willing to help with any questions you have so sit back browse and ask questions.

Welcome Mr. beasty, you wont have to go any further than this site, I'm sure you'll find what your looking for, we have some pretty smart and very talented people here, just look at some of the completed mods. Like what was mentioned earlier, we love pictures, so lets get this party started.

I have tried looking at these forums and find out how to actually do it, instead I find 100 pictures of what the boats turn out to look like.

If that is the case your not looking at all of the posts in between the first and last pages. :p
I would wager there is a very similar boat to yours on here somewhere with very detailed steps of work done. Granted everyone can't label all of the little things involved or they would never get the boat finished. But that is where the questions come in. No one can read your mind with what you are looking to do with your boat, but I can almost gaurantee someone around here has at least done something close to what you want. :D

Can you put the carpet directly onto the alluminum or do you have to put it on to wood first?

Waterwings said:
I glued my carpet directly to the painted aluminum on my rig. The paint is not a gloss finish on mine , but rather a flat paint.
I put mine directly on bare aluminum. It is good to scuff it with a wire brush before hand. I got my aluminum at a salvage rate, due to the fact that it was stored outside for a number of months/years, so it had a slight layer of oxidation that the glue didn't stick to. Scuffed the aluminum with a wire brush on a grinder, and now I couldn't get the carpet off it I wanted to. Instead, the top layer of carpet comes off, and you literally have to pry each individual square inch off the aluminum with a prybar. Basically, what I am saying, is it works just fine. I used the same glue Waterwings used (Henry 663 carpet adhesive from Lowes).

I'm no expert but what I have been doing and am doing is; using spray adhesive and a stapler to staple the carpet to the plywood pieces that will be sitting on top of the benches. I will be using larger bolts and nuts to secure the corners. I am doing my best to not screw into my boat hull. I am using L brackets that I found at LOWES for 0.44 cents each. I am screwing those into the bench and building off of that. I have used some chalk/adhesive to glue the carpet to places I am not using wood. It was less than $4 a tube. I don't know how it will work after the sun beats on it for a full summer but it does say it's used for outdoor applications and is water resistant. Learn as you go a little bit, If you have questions these guys on here either have done it or found great ways to get it done. Pictures help so others can help you out....

You are surely in the right place. I received a free boat and had no idea what to do to get started. After a few long nights of searching the posts I had a simple game plan and am in the middle of it right now. My biggest problem was figuring out what to do given my budget, my needs, and the size of my boat. When you see some ideas and figure out what you want to do ask specific questions and you will get all the help you need. I look forward to seeing the progress!

So i finally got the boat started! I took some pictures, i will post them when I am done.. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!
Does anyone know how to run a cd player directly from the 12 V car battery? I can not find out how to do it anywhere!
Thank you.

added a cd player and some speakers- bout done
anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• after.JPG
    after.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 1,671
  • BEFORE1.JPG
    BEFORE1.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,671
  • before2.JPG
    before2.JPG