Livewell question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scbassman28

Reaction score
I have the boat in the picture. The only difference is mine is tiller steering instead of steering wheel. I am wanting to cut the back bench seat and build a live well in it. I would have to take the flotation out to do this. But when I added the floor in my boat, I added flotation under the floor. Do any of you guys have any good ideas on how to do this. I do not even know where to start.

Attachments

• nv107232_2_400.jpg
    nv107232_2_400.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,955
You can get a sheet of 1 inch pink or blue builders foam and add it under the floor.You could also do the cooler conversion to live well.That could be built in or left as a mobile unit. Here's one rendition.Same as a converted cooler just cheaper. https://www.tinboats.net/index.php/Projects/building-a-livewell.html

I have since upgraded my rubbermaid cooler that I wrote about in that article to a 72qt Igloo Cooler.

But, I plan on cutting out the top of the rear bench, removing the foam and just inserting in my cooler. Make sure your bench is wide enough for the cooler to fit in so that you know how much to cut out. Measure the depth of the bench, then measure that depth to your cooler and measure the width at the top - that is atleast how wide your bench needs to be.

You can cut the top out by drilling holes in each corner of your cut, then using a jig saw or circular saw to cut the long runs.

My father and I built one probably 20+ years ago by removing the foam and framing inside the seat with fiberglassed plywood. It worked like a charm and looked like it came from the factory.

Quackrstackr said:
My father and I built one probably 20+ years ago by removing the foam and framing inside the seat with fiberglassed plywood. It worked like a charm and looked like it came from the factory.
Really nice idea! You just made a fiberglass livewell? Do you have any idea what it weighed?

Not a whole lot more than the weight of the plywood framing.

You don't really need the fiberglass to be super thick for structural rigidity, just to make it waterproof and prevent rot.

Fiberglass is super strongand watertight.
Built a 14' fiberglass jon boat years ago and made a live well by taking a cardboard box for the frame,fiberglassed it in place.It wasn't even a 1/8",when I filled it with water,the cardboard box just came out in peices,leaving a nice light,water tight space.The whole boat couldn't of weighed more then 150-200lbs,put it in my truck bed alone,almost always.
I don't know if people realize that fiberglass lobster rigs here are only about 3/16" in most places.I also see on here sometimes that fiberglass will seperate from wood,I don't think thats true either,most rigs before the all fiberglass rigs were wood and fiberglass,still alot of them around and they don't come out of the salt water.

Mines fiberglass..

P1010007-1.jpg

Latest posts