Lowe 1448 deck build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trerick

Reaction score
It’s been a long time coming, building a front deck on my Lowe 1448 big jon. I add a casting deck to the front of the boat and added decking to the seats and the open floor. I used 5/8” plywood for the decking. Sealed it then pulled the carpet tight and stapled it to the underside of the plywood. I decided to have exposed screws when I attached it to the boat. I wanted it to be easier to recarpet or replace boards if need be. In the middle bench is a live well, I wasn’t sure whether to deck it or not. So I didn’t.

Here are some pictures of my progress.

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

I’m on the fence about decking the sides of the front deck. My brother-in-law thinks it’s great to have it open for easy access to stuff. I’m not sold on it yet.

My next step is to get the trolling motor up and running. I’ll be placing the batteries in the back of the boat and running the wire to the front to the plug for the TM. I have (2) 12V batteries for the TM, what is the best way to wire a 24V system? What is the proper gauge wire to use for a TM and can I get that at a HD or LOWES?

Certainly built that boat solid.
Your trolling motor is a 24volt?
Heres a good link to figure what size wire.
https://www.minn-kota.com/Minn-Kota-faq/Minn_Kota_FAQ.htm#6

You just need to wire the batteries in series. Wiring batteries in series will sum their voltages, if you were to wire then in parallel you'll sum the amperage instead.

I think to recharge them you will have to separate them if you have a 12V charger. Someone else needs to chime in on this part tho cause I'm not 100% positive.

6ga wire is the minimum that you can use - 4ga or larger is best though.

When charging, you either have to have a 24v charger, or unhook the neg to pos wire that connect the two batteries together and charge them separately

oh.. as far as the sides on the front deck... have you stood up there pretending to be fishing yet? It looks like disaster waiting to happen... all it takes is one big fish to make you lose your thoughts and take a step forward to pick him up outta the water.

I would deck the sides and make it as storage. You would be amazed at what all will fall off your deck and run under your seat - and when you're on the water, it's hard to get under there to get it back out

Looking good! On the rear bench how did you mount the wood to the bench? Just curious I have a clamp on style for right now and would like some ideas on more of a permanent seat. Thanks.

I used self tapping stainless screws with a button washer. They are exposed, but it doesn't bother me. Looks pretty good. The pedestal has stainless steel screws too that go thru the plywood and into the bench too.

Latest posts