deck support wood? what size type?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davescarp

Reaction score
Hi all. you might have seen my project boat i just posted yesterday. 14' grumman v-hull, 49-52" wide at the base of the gunwales depending on where you measure from. I've decided to use some type of wood to support my plywood floor because I want it to be removable.. I've seen a few guys using 2 X 2's but didn't see any at the lowes nearby. i might use 1 X 2 around the permeter of the deck and across as a modified stringer, and cut 2X4 posts to support those to the aluminum ribs on the bottom. i want to keep weight to a minimum but don't want it to sag.. Each floor section will only be 34" long from bow to stern. my biggest question is this: what type of wood is everyone using for supports? Pine? hardwood? are we using a water sealer to keep the elements out? same water sealer for teh plywood and lumber? thanks, DAVE

I am not sure yet, But I was thinking of putting removable decking in my 12/36 jon. I was thinking of using cedar treated with Thomson's waterseal . just an idea. :roll:

Take a look at various mods on the sticky at the top of the page. There are many ways to skin a cat. Aluminum is best but costly. I used 2x2s and Simpson Strong Ties. Make sure to use a buffer between the galvanized strong ties and the aluminum boat, as corrosion may occur. I used gasket material, there are other choices like shower liner someone used. If I had to do it again, I might consider doing 2x4s, but i like the way mine came out, so I can't complain. Like I said before, check all the mods out, but 2x2s and 2x4s are a good option. Don't use pressure treated wood. Just use regular wood, and water seal it. I would also use marine or spar varnish, you can literally see the difference when it rains, the varnish parts repel water a bit better it seems. Never hurts to overdo it.

Any more questions just ask, and good luck!

Most people are using pine because it's light and cheap (my opinion is you should use aluminum angle, but you asked about wood so I won't go there). Don't use pressure treated wood. It will cause a bad chemical reaction with your aluminum. All you need to seal it with is something like Thompson Water Sealer or whatever generic your Lowes/Home Depot has. Use that on framing and decking.

I would love to use angle aluminum but it is far too cost prohibitive.. I'll probably go with pine but where does one find 2x2's??? Not a scrap to be found at lowes tonight. Do i need to go to a more traditional lumber yard? thanks again for all the input.

davescarp said:
I would love to use angle aluminum but it is far too cost prohibitive.. I'll probably go with pine but where does one find 2x2's??? Not a scrap to be found at lowes tonight. Do i need to go to a more traditional lumber yard? thanks again for all the input.

Probably the easiest thing if you have access to a tablesaw is to rip a 2x4 into two 2x2's. I would have thought Lowes would have them.

I found the 2 x 2 at Lowes. If you look at my front deck build I didn't want any sagging. My deck is pretty solid I've had some rather heavy duty friends on the front with no sag and they always comment how solid it is. That said I think I went a little overboard.

Latest posts