14' Sea Nymph Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spedespub

Reaction score
I finished this build just before summer this year. I am no carpenter or welder, but I managed to make a quality boat out of unconventional items. After all the mods were finished, I spent about $275.00 on materials. The transom was the first to be replaced. The side floatation boxes got cut out to make more space for storage and a battery. original.jpg
original2.jpg
rot.jpg
I used three pieces of plywood glued, screwed and waterproofed together to make the 1 1/2" depth. bare_transom.jpgnew_transom.jpg
The bracing for the front deck is shelving brackets. Its way cheaper then aluminum angle and just as sturdy. It is pop-riveted to the floor and together.frame.jpgframe2.jpg The framework has blue Rustoleum paint on it because thats all I had. The front deck floor is 3/8" waferboard waterproofed.access2.jpgaccess.jpg
For the front seat I took an old 7" pedestal and cut the middle out leaving the brackets. I used gas pipe fittings to anchor to the seat brackets. It forms a reverse bass seat pedestal. Plus all the parts and the pipe were $25.00. The tape on the seat base it to fill the gap between 3/4" and 1/2" pipe.pedestal.jpg
front.jpg
The front trolling motor mount has been changed since the pics were taken and the rear has since been covered with an access hatch for the battery and gas tankboat.jpg
finished.jpg
The rear seat has a 7" swivel and the base is attached to 3/4" x 12" x 12" plywood. This base is on hinges to allow for a rear casting deck.1.jpg

Good job!! :beer:

How much heavier if any is the shelving brackets than aluminum angle? I might end up going that route once my livewell gets here... but I still don't know exactly how I want to deck it yet

I actually bought some of those same shelve brackets to use, but decided against it because I thought they would rust. It seemed like they were only slightly heavier then my 1x1x3/16" aluminum.

I didn't find them much heavier than the aluminum angle, but you do have to coat any place that you cut with a Rustoleum paint to keep it from rusting. I think I ended up using 4 six foot brackets for the front deck. My biggest concern was money, plus i am not a big fella (147lbs), so strength was not a huge factor for me. If I was worried about holding up 300lbs, I would have definately used aluminum angle.

spedespub said:
I didn't find them much heavier than the aluminum angle, but you do have to coat any place that you cut with a Rustoleum paint to keep it from rusting. I think I ended up using 4 six foot brackets for the front deck. My biggest concern was money, plus i am not a big fella (147lbs), so strength was not a huge factor for me. If I was worried about holding up 300lbs, I would have definately used aluminum angle.

Is there any worry about the metal coming in contact with the boat and thus corrosion?

The manner in which the risers are positioned on the ribs of the boat will keep them from corroding the bottom of the boat. I haven't seen any signs of corrosion around the rivets on the ribs but the situation does exist. I guess when that happens I will have to address it then.

Latest posts