Just ordered a smoker -UPDATE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
handyandy said:
huh, good to know I have couple old block heaters for diesel engines that just plug in and get red hot might use those instead rigged on a timer to cycle them.
Exactly how handy are you, Andy? Heh! I made this temperature controlled outlet that I used to use for my smoker. I currently use it to make stock (2016 Thanksgiving shown), for sous vide, and to turn the lights on to keep my lime tree warm on the rare occasion that the temperature drops into the low-30s.

IMG_20161120_204906.jpg

It's one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T5EGC4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-Fahrenheit/dp/B00OXPE8U6/ref=sr_1_2?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1511199703&sr=8-2&keywords=digital+temperature+controller&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011 (mine is a different brand, but they're all the same)

And then all you need is a standard outlet socket (scavenged mine from a battery backup), some flexible house wiring and wire nuts (Home Depot), and an IEC jack and cord (scavenged from an old computer power supply). The whole thing is wired up with wire nuts, so no soldering. Replacement sensors are $4.50 for 5 on Ebay [link].

It's a handy little device to have. Set your temperature, and stick the probe somewhere. When the probe goes below the set temperature, power is applied to the outlet. It made it very easy to cycle the hotplate to keep the right temperature. It is also very easy to read from a distance, and in the dark.

Doing a butt in the smoker now. 5lbs of jwrkyin yhe dehydrator

Attachments

• 20171121_105800.jpg
    20171121_105800.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 3,654
  • 20171121_105919.jpg
    20171121_105919.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 3,654
That is awesome on the temp controlled outlet that's some high class redneck engineering. I might have to make one I will probably solder the connections doesn't really bother me soldering. I always hate household wiring wire nutting everything then trying to jam the stiff solid wiring into a little junction box. I only mention that as I have been doing a lot of wiring in a new to me garage lately. It's almost done then before I know it the attached garaged will be done and I will get to wire it as well can't wait :roll: The butt and jerky looks good nice work

Latest posts