BUTT

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillhunter

Staff member
Reaction score
The wife loves pulled pork! Went fishing yesterday, today we were supposed to have thunderstorms all day so I told her I would do the 4 lber that we got on sale a few weeks ago and froze.

I use my Weber Spirit 320 for long smokes. With a water pan and the rear burner on low it holds right at 225 degrees. Still have a 4 hours to go I think. I use a remote digital and am looking for 203.

Attachments

• 060913Butt2.jpg
    060913Butt2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,353
  • 060913Butt1.jpg
    060913Butt1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,353
Looks good Gill - I pull mine off at 190-195 then wrap in foil and a towel and put it a cooler for about an hour. I have never checked the temp after my resting process but I bet it would be close to your 203. I then pull it from the cooler still wrapped and let sit until we are ready to eat, this allows all the juices to soak back into the meet. yummie Do you rest your's like I do?

Makes me hungry just thinking about butt :beer:

The wife was getting hungry so I pulled it at 198, put it in foil and in the cooler for 30 minutes this time. Like I said, the wife was getting hungry :LOL2:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318142#p318142 said:
gillhunter » 29 minutes ago[/url]"]The wife was getting hungry so I pulled it at 198, put it in foil and in the cooler for 30 minutes this time. Like I said, the wife was getting hungry :LOL2:

I completely understand my family calls it "crack" I have even caught my son hiding some in the back of the frig so he could could have some the next day. I guess I can't blame him because it is so good.

I love seeing other people posting their meals, gives me ideas - Heck right now I am trying to make some asian style pork chops have no idea how they will turn out. I just love to try new things without using a hard fast recipe. :beer:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318175#p318175 said:
Colbyt » 10 Jun 2013 11:20 am[/url]"]Don't shoot me. I am lazy and do it in the crock pot with very diluted bbq sauce and a little liquid smoke.

There is a time and place for everything. I do the butt in the crock pot sometimes also, minus the liquid smoke. :D

I carved about 2 pounds off the bone end of the one I bought Saturday and made some of the best pork burgers I ever ate. I did do those on the grill.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318202#p318202 said:
Colbyt » Yesterday, 15:35[/url]"]I carved about 2 pounds off the bone end of the one I bought Saturday and made some of the best pork burgers I ever ate. I did do those on the grill.
That sounds good! I WILL have a grinder one day.

gillhunter, you're making me hungry and I just got done eating. I have one in the freezer that needs to come out. Bought a twin pack on sale last month and cooked one. Now I just need to put my new smoker/grill/grill combo together and smoke the other one.

This is how I have been doing them recently with great results.
I do the usual oil or mustard and dry rub the night before. Smoke at 225 until it reaches around 160 or so or until I feel it has enough smoke and the bark looks right. Wrap in foil and return to smoker (no smoke) or oven on 225 until I get to around 205 and let it rest until it gets back down to 165 (couple 3 hours usually). Then open the foil and let it rest a little more (a few minutes so you don't burn your fingers) and pull. I like to save the juices. Put them in a glass and into the fridge. The fat will get hard and you can scoop it out with a spoon and you're left with some really good juice to pour over the meat or use as a base to make bbg sauce.

This method helps overcome the stall and decreases cook time while increasing moisture. I have never had a butt stall as low as 140, but I also have a hard time with the smoker temp staying down at 225. It seems to like 250 ](*,) Hopefully my new one will be more cooperative.