Ham and Beans

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillhunter

Staff member
Reaction score
It's cold today! I baked a ham on Sunday and I always make ham and bean soup with the left-overs. I use the dry 15 bean mix. Simmered the stock all last night. We'll eat on this for the rest of the week :LOL2: . Stay warm!!

Attachments

• Ham and Beans.jpg
    Ham and Beans.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 2,704
Yes, I've been making it for years and it's one of my favorites! Love it with corn bread. I add about a hen size scoop of red curry paste towards the end to give it just a hint of kick!

Love that stuff! =P~
I use Hambeens 15 bean packs, then add smoked ham hocks and smoked sausage for the meat part, and follow the rest of the recipe to the letter.
Just looked, two meals left of it. After tomorrow there will be one! :lol:

I sorta feel the need to refute a couple of widely held Internet myths about cooking beans and their gaseous effect. Popular recipes on the web say that if:

* You soak the beans over nite, drain and rinse really well the gaseous effect is reduced.
* The gaseous effect hides in the cooked broth and avoiding that will reduce the effect.

Those are just plain bald faced myths. If you need proof come on over. :)

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338399#p338399 said:
Colbyt » 10 Jan 2014, 22:12[/url]"]I sorta feel the need to refute a couple of widely held Internet myths about cooking beans and their gaseous effect. Popular recipes on the web say that if:

* You soak the beans over nite, drain and rinse really well the gaseous effect is reduced.
* The gaseous effect hides in the cooked broth and avoiding that will reduce the effect.

I heard a little baking soda helps but the kids like the effects :)

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338412#p338412 said:
keelme » Today, 09:02[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338399#p338399 said:
Colbyt » 10 Jan 2014, 22:12[/url]"]I sorta feel the need to refute a couple of widely held Internet myths about cooking beans and their gaseous effect. Popular recipes on the web say that if:

I heard a little baking soda helps but the kids like the effects :)

Welcome aboard. I missed your into post.

As I understand it (which is probably wrong), the reason that beans cause gas is because of the density of the food. Beans are rather dense and as they pass through your stomach and intestines, that density pushes gas that's already in your system out (the only direction it can :shock: :oops: ). Other foods like garlic cause gas largely because of an inability to digest certain types of monosaccharides - this is a problem that is presently being studied rather closely right now. If you're interested, research a FODMAP diet - it's not a weight loss diet, but one based on helping folks out with IBS and other digestive problems. One of my best pals has severe digestive problems and has found it to be wonderful.

Latest posts