Food Dehydrator?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMixson

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the market to buy a food dehydrator. What kind have you used and how well are they built. I want one that will last me a long time. I have seen some that are made of plastic. How well does the plastic hold up over time? Does the plastic get brittle after so many uses? I will be using it to make beef jerky and vegetable/fruit chips.

LOL LOL I think they ALL last a "long time" . . . because, after a few seasons of using it,
it goes into the closet and never comes out again.
I have the cheap $20 wal-mart variety and it does the job, works as it should,
and is over 25 years old !!! probably used it a dozen times all those years.

Just depends on how deep you want to get into the preservation (prepper) of it.
If I got another one, it would definitely be one of the bigger square models with
a door and shelves . . . not the round table top model. (example photo below).
This also will get a lot of controversy of Ford vs Dodge vs Volkswagen.
I just dug mine out of storage and it is in excellent shape. No crazing, cracking or discoloration
after 25 years, all the trays are still good. Plugged it in, gets warm as it did on Day One.
but, it is so small - just for the kids to play with, but it works.
dehy2.JPG

Jus my dos centavos

I've had two over the past 25 years or so. I used them 4-5 times in the winter for beef and venison jerky. The first one is still working fine as my son now has it. The second one also works fine. They both are plastic and had four trays each. The first one had the motor on the bottom and it was difficult to clean because all the drippings fell don on the bottom plate, which you have to snap off for cleaning. The newer on has the motor on the top and does not get drippings on it. Much easier to clean. Trays can go in the dishwasher or be soaked and brushed for cleaning.

Never had a problem with the plastic ones, they work fine.

Here is the one I have I love it :beer: Here is a pic and link

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/weston-74-1001-w-10-rack-stainless-steel-dehydrator-1000w/9431001W.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CLqlpf_OucUCFdORHwodPn8AjA

Attachments

• Stainless+Steel+Food+Dehydrator.jpg
    Stainless+Steel+Food+Dehydrator.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 3,259
Just make sure the drying trays will fit in the dish washer. The wife complains about washing them by hand. :mrgreen:
I think the clean up is the main reason folks stop using them.
I do my jerky in the grill now.
But I had one of the round stacking kind. It worked fine.

I start my jerky on the smoker and then finish it in the dryer that stops allot of the mess and clean up - plus it gives it a great smokey flavor. I also line the bottom with foil when i do meats.

Dehydrated onions are a bit pricey. So one year we decided to do a 10LB bag. We learned that one should never do that inside of the house [-X . Came home from work and it smelled like BO. Took weeks to rid the house of that ! But we had dry onion for a long time....

Latest posts