camp fire cabbage.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insanity

Reaction score
I've made this a bunch of times over the years. But now that I'm posting it i can't recall the cooking time. After about an hr and half check it. Thinking it usally takes two. Three if your coals are lower. I keep a fire going in front of It and just push coals under it from time to time. If you place your hand over the coals at the level of the food. And count in seconds you'll have your cooking temp pretty close. Like say it's uncomfortable after three seconds that about 300 degrees. Usally I go for low and slow about 200 to 250. IL leave it and go fishing sometimes.

Any way. Pull out a very generous amount of heavy duty tin foil. Enough to wrap the cabbage completely.
Cut the cabbage into qauters but don't separate just lay it open.
Cut up a bell pepper into strips and lay in the middle of said quatered cabbage.
Then cut a sweet onion into about eights and put that in the middle.
Toss in as much bacon as you desire I use about four pieces. Along with some grease. It's better pre cooked.
I also sprinkle artificial bacon bits on top as the flavoring is strong.
Now push the foil up around the cabbage into a bowl shape and add a cup of water and stick of butter.
Cook over low coals for said time.
Dont worry if the outside leaves of the cabbage burn it taste even better for some reason.
Enjoy you high cholesterol cabbage!

I usall throw on a couple of whole chickens split. And some tatters in the coals.
Yes we eat good when camping.

I don't eat cabbage often but this sounds amazing. Might have to give it a shot. Got any breakfast ideas to share?

I usally make pancakes. It's the easiest and I don't really get the pan dirty as I used cast iron. Thats seasoned well. If they don't stick there's nothing to wash just wipe it out with a paper towel. Note olive oil makes them the most non stick. Just wipe it between each pancake you cook.
I mix the batter in a throw away plastic cup and eat off plastic plates and toss it all. Note plastic holds up for cutting the cakes.

I've cooked biscuits by pre heating a pan and placing it upside down over the one with the biscuits. Like a Dutch oven.

I've toyed with pigs I a blanket. Using polish sasage wrapped with a can biscuit dough. But I haven't mastered it yet. Scewer the sasage so there's no pan to wash.

We also like french toast. Mix the eggs and milk and put in a zip lock bag at home and toss in the cooler. Dip bread in bag to coat.

Ego waffles also toast well over a fire.

If you really want breakfast made easy make bacon egg and cheese biscuits at home and wrap them in foil. The biscuits will crisp back up when you heat over some coals.

My daughter makes cerial in a cup. Its easier to eat from a cup and not spill it then one of those shallow plastic bowls The wife takes milk in her coffee so we usally take a half gallon in the cooler.

I like the pre made ham and cheese crasants from the grocery store. You could wrap them in foil and heat.

I've been known to take a pick nick ham and leave it in a pan of water cooking over night. It ready to eat the next morning.

And country ham doesn't need refigeration.

I've also made toast over the fire with great success.

We used to camp every weekend some years ago. We tent camped but I had a utility trailer loaded with tool boxes to hold every thing.
I'd get off work and we where out the drive way in an hr.

I should have mentioned I made my own cook rack that slides up a down a pipe I drive in the ground. So I can adjust at any height. If your set at a certain distance from the fire. Just rake coals in or out from under the food.
I also cheat and take a chainsaw to cut dead hardwood I can split. So burning down to coals is easy.

Google Land Between The Lakes to see where I camp. Its between lake Barkley and ky lake so I jump from one to the other in 20 mins.

wow !!

i love cabbage any way you can fix it.
have never heard of this one - but, I am going to try it in the oven.
I know that steamed cabbage cooks rather quickly in the loose form,
so if it is in the oven @ 350 or 400* it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes or so.
fried bacon strips vs raw seems like more flavor. ( and some bacon grease).

THANKS for sharing !! =D>

I like boiled or steamed cabbage mostly but when I was in the boy scouts (50 years ago) I had what was still to this day probably the best baked potato I've ever had and it was prepared very similar to this.

Latest posts