Any Traeger owners out there?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I sold my Weber and I am getting an itch for a new smoker.

I want to be a little less hands on maintaining temp for those long 12+ hour cooks.

https://www.traegergrills.com/

If you don't end up going with an automatic pellet type smoker and stick with charcoal, check into a smoker controller. I got a Party Q from BBQ Guru for Christmas and love it. I use it on my UDS and my last cook was a 7.5# pork butt that took about 13 hours at 240 degrees. Once I got it dialed in and the controller figured out, I never had to touch it to maintain temperatures. My UDS keeps temperatures pretty solid, but would still wake me up a time or two at night if I was doing an overnight cook. The Party Q makes it set and forget.

https://bbqguru.com/storenav

It's basically a PID with a fan and temperature probe to monitor pit temps. It's an all in one unit but depending on what cooker you have you need to get the correct attachment. For my UDS the main intake is a 3/4" ball valve. So I got it with the 3/4" ball valve attachment. They have attachments available for many types of cookers. Using the temperature probe it monitors pit temps and turns the fan on/off as necessary to maintain the set temperature. The PID is supposed to learn your cooker over time and make it even more efficient. On mine, the fan turns on just briefly here and there to keep things in check. Towards the end of the butt cook it did seem to be getting more and more efficient and seemed to be anticipating a slight temp drop and would turn on briefly to keep the temp where I wanted but not overshoot. So it did seem to be "learning" my cooker.

Planning on taking my UDS and controller along on a fishing trip in March. Going to do a butt one day and pork ribs another. I have an old cell phone that I setup as an IP camera. So I'll set that up to face my Maverick thermometer so I can check in on it remotely from the lake. Should be the perfect setup for set and forget smoking. If you're still on the fence by then, I'll report back and let you know how it worked out.

Latest posts