Memeorial Day Weekend Smoke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I can't go through the weekend without smoking something. I'm going to smoke something Saturday night into Sunday.

I'm thinking a big Bone-in Pork Butt? Maybe ribs?

What are you guys cooking?

Just trimmed up a 9# butt last night and dry brined it this morning. Then it'll get rubbed (I like Meathead's Memphis Dust) and put on my UDS at around 260 this evening. I'm expecting it to take 10-12 hours to get to 197, which is the temp I like to pull my butts. Once the butt is done, it'll get wrapped and into a cooler to hang out. Then I'll crank up my UDS to 325 or so and throw on some chicken legs and thighs, which I have a good recipe for if anyone is interested. This is all for a few people I have coming over tomorrow to help me assemble a massive galvanized playset we just bought for the kids. I plan to keep everyone well watered too :beer:

Ok, I am doing bone-in pork butt, and Bacon slab burnt ends with cherry habanero BBQ sauce. Pictures coming when the games begin!

In the process of making my not so famous rub.

Jim said:
Ok, I am doing bone-in pork butt, and Bacon slab burnt ends with cherry habanero BBQ sauce. Pictures coming when the games begin!

In the process of making my not so famous rub.

Nice!! How'd everything turn out? I'm interested in hearing about how you do the bacon burnt ends.

My 9# butt only took 15 hours to get to temp :shock: Ran it at 160 overnight and then cranked it up to 180ish in the morning hoping it would finish sooner. So it goes though. Either way, it was delicious once done!!

I've got some friends coming over next weekend for a little pool party with the kids. Probably due another butt since they are easy to feed the masses with. Might do a few slabs of St. Louis style ribs as well.

The pork butt was not my best, I blame the smoker. :LOL2:

It took over 18 hours and was not even 5 pounds. I let it go until 195 and then let it rest for an hour. Even then the whole thing did not shred easily with 2 forks like it normally does. Even the bone did not come out clean. Uneven temps? Thermometer going bad? Smoker temps not consistent?

We ate it all and no one complained. Just me, the guy behind the wheel. :D

Jim said:
The pork butt was not my best, I blame the smoker. :LOL2:

It took over 18 hours and was not even 5 pounds. I let it go until 195 and then let it rest for an hour. Even then the whole thing did not shred easily with 2 forks like it normally does. Even the bone did not come out clean. Uneven temps? Thermometer going bad? Smoker temps not consistent?

We ate it all and no one complained. Just me, the guy behind the wheel. :D

195 is a little low for pulled, IMO. I like mine between 197-200. At 197 I tug on the bone and poke around the butt with my finger (keeps the jokes to yourselves!! :D ). If the bone is loose, I call it done. If the butt is bouncy kind of like it's full of jell-o, it's done. I've had some that were done at 197 and others that needed to get over 200 to be "done". You can also use a toothpick or your thermometer probe to check for doneness. If either go into the meat with very little resistance once past the bark, it's ready to be pulled. If you get resistance then it still needs more time.

18 hours seems like a long time. What temp were you smoking at? I check the accuracy of my temp probes in a pot of boiling water ever couple of smokes or so. Obviously they should be as close to 212 as possible. Sounds like you smoked at too low of a temperature possibly.

Butts can be weird though. I typically figure on 12 hours or so to get to 197 with a pit temp of 250. Last weekend I wanted to get it done a bit quicker so I went with 260. Took longer instead going 15 hours. Go figure.

Latest posts