Boat wrap, new decals or paint- cost?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
The tin boat I just picked up has the stock vinyl decals and someone must have used something really caustic on the top of the gunwales and destroyed all the decals when it dripped down. They have permanent drips/stains that look terrible. What is the most cost effective way to deal with that? I don't really care what it looks like, although these drips/stains are really bad. It's a '94 Crestliner with full length decals, I assume I can't get them again unless they are custom and I'll bet they will be expensive. A wrap seems expensive too but I don't really know. What about paint? Can I roll something that won't look terrible? And how much will something like that cost? I may just peel the vinyl, buy 24" long Crestliner logo decals and some pinstriping.

if you go the route of removing what you have and buying the "wrap" material,
(it is considered temporary advertising), the cost could be the most expensive.

I would suggest removing what you have and purchasing new "stock"
decals from a vendor. YouTube has some videos on how to apply large decals.
and it never hurts to check your local sign shops first. You may get lucky and
they can remove and replace the decals cheaper than you can in your time and $$$.

and again - we roll back to: Photos will help us help you.

Johnny said:
and again - we roll back to: Photos will help us help you.

Well, here's the boat, this photo was taken to strategically hide how bad the decals are, but you can get an idea.

Crestliner.jpg

Jethro - this is your boat now. yours to do with as you please.
if you are not hung up on the "as new from the factory" look,
here is your chance to strip the graphics and repaint the hull.
there is no rule that you must put the same graphics back on.
your time and budget will dictate which road to take.

there are several "decal eraser wheels" on the market now.
just google "how to remove vinyl decals" and you will see what
we sign makers use to quickly remove old graphics and residue.
the cheapest way will be with a heat gun and scraper and a lot of patience.
there are many good tutorial videos about removing vinyl graphics
on the good old YouTube to get you started.

I agree with Johnny. It's your boat, make it look the way want it to. If you want the boat to look factory original try contacting Crestliner directly. They may not have original decals for a '94 boat, but they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

I bought my boat last spring and the owner had wrapped it with crappie and big "Crappie Slayer" on the side. Although I am not a good crappie fisherman I chose to leave the wrap on. Mainly because it is a LOT of work to get the vinyl off and the residue left behind. I wanted to remove it and just get factory Alumacraft decals out back on. But I get a lot of looks and comments. Some people even take photos to show their buddies. There are a few pieces of vinyl missing from the dealer trying to see if it would come off. At least it's in the color I wanted.

Here is what mine looks like.

924d678e34c4f2780a60312ff43873d6.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I have been working on a '81 - 16ft Lund this winter. I took the boat all apart, including removing all the graphics.

boat_pics_1.jpg

I took my pictures to about 10 local body shops. I found one that was willing to use it for fill work, and they prep'ed and painted it inside and out for $1000.

I don't have any after pictures yet, but I have found a truck graphic apply on the side to give it a classy look.

My_Boat_graphic.jpg

This is three pieces, truck graphic, after market "lund" graphic, and after market "angler" graphic. (about $200 with me installing).

Use your imagination.

Latest posts