Lowe or Alumacraft?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billclay1

Reaction score
I've decided on either a Lowe 1648MT or an Alumacraft 1648MV. They seem to be pretty much the same boat, but I'm wondering if anyone has anything I should know. I'm going to pair the boat with either a 15hp or 20hp electric start tiller, and a foot control trolling motor. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

I havn't seen the models but havn't heard much if any bad news from either brand.

billclay
First let me say welcome. this a great place for info.I have a Lowe l1648m and love it with a 25 hp on it and i wish i had went with the max. of 35hp for my boat .On a boat that size i would not go smaller than 25 hp.Not sure about alumacraft ,look at spics. side height,gage of alum.,then get what you can afford and get the biggest boat you can afford...
The price of mine 3 yrs ago was 1800.00 new not sure about now.I am sure that either one would be a good choice and a 1648 is a great size i would not want anything smaller but we have big lakes here in east TN.
Good luck

Go for best price.............

Welcome!

Both brands are very well made boats and I don't think you'll be disappointed either way.

I would go with what fits your fishing style. Are you going to make long runs? Rough water? Shallow water, and then decide. If you save money on smaller issues that you may not need, you will have some left over for electronics and what not. Just my opinion.

Both should be great hulls, go with the better price.
As far as engines, I think you will be dissapointed with a 15 or 20 hp on these hulls. I run an 18hp on a 1440 mv and get around 25 mph max without a load and 20mph with. Put that same engine on a 1648 and I doubt I would get 20mph with just me in the boat. With a load, you would barely plane off. Go with a 25 hp min. If you can find a Johnson or Yamaha 2 stroke 30hp, that would be the ticket.

Latest posts