everything steelflex

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTSam

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Fasco. Spoke with a nice lady but could not really understand her nor could she really help me. She gave me an email to send my order request but what I need to know is how much should I get. I was told 3 quarts is $47.00(this is the non teflon) and 1 gallon $107.00. My boat is 15 long and 5 wide. I just want to do the bottom and up the side say 8-10 inches. I have read that many have had plenty left over after multi coats. How much they bought, I have no idea. Any help would be appreciated.

I think 2 qts is 47.00, may be wrong, wouldn't make sense to pay 2x as much for 25% more... anyhow i bough 1 gallon, 2 qts of each part, I painted my entire boat, 3" down on the inside, and my trailer, the trailer could have used more, I wasted maybe 1-1.5 pints, and i have about 1oz left for a touchup, Likely will not last tho... 16' mod v boat.. I put about 3 coats on the entire boat if I recall... Maybe it was only 2.. It did not make sense to me, to try and paint the top half with something different for the cost reasons... I do have several chips in the rub rail tho, from different things..

Attachments

• 008 [640x480].jpg
    008 [640x480].jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 29,830
I should add, I bought the recommended Solvent resistant roller, It still has hairs in the finish, It looks textured, The steelflex is some very very sticky stuff... I was told by the fasco tech, you could no way spray the non teflon, but the teflon stuff could be sprayed..

Just a couple weeks ago I paid
$42/gal
$7/pigment
$16.37 shipping
for the regular stuff

The $105 has to be for the 2000 version with the Teflon. Having worked with both the regular and Teflon you might want to change to the regular stuff. It's cheaper and you can put multiple coats on. It also can be painted.

I put it on a 16.5 footer, probably have about half left. See link in signature for both my builds. The Mirrocraft has the 2000 version, and the Sea Nymph has the regular stuff. I actually like the way the regular stuff looks better too, it has a glossier finish.

I used foam rollers from a local him improvement store. They worked fine but you need a lot of them(like 10). This stuff is hard to work with and you really need to push it around a lot.

Bugpac said:
You know what, I think i got 2 gallons come to think of it...
1 gallon comes in 2, 1/2 gallon containers. That's probably what you have. A gallon goes a long way. For some reason the bottom seams to take a lot more product than that sides.....at least it did for me.

Nussy said:
Bugpac said:
You know what, I think i got 2 gallons come to think of it...
1 gallon comes in 2, 1/2 gallon containers. That's probably what you have. A gallon goes a long way. For some reason the bottom seams to take a lot more product than that sides.....at least it did for me.

I got 4 cans. and 2 pigment, was like 109.00 I was thinking when he posted the cans were qts... I remember now, especially after seeing the price.. and truthfully, it may be 3 qts come to think of it, the cans were down a ways from the brim, I am guessing if measured there is not 1 gallon of material when mixed..

I was asking for the non teflon version. I know she said 3 quarts $47.00.

do i primer the whole boat and the then put steelflex on or just steelflex or bare aluminum i didnt had time to find out.. im getting closer to start out my project ..

No need to use primer. If the paint that's on the boat now sticks good, just rough up the surface so the Steelflex has something to grab. It the paint is flaking off, remove as much paint/primer to get down to the first solid layer and make sure it is roughed up. Just take into consideration that the most outer layer of paint/epoxy (in your case would be Steeflex) is dependend upon the layers between it and the hull. Most people like to remove everything down to the bare aluminum (myself included) but it isn't neccessary.

hey guys i see yall talking about steelflex and when i do find a new boat i would like to use it on it where do ya find steelflex i have done searches but havent found anything yet well i might have and not reliazed it

caten in wv said:
thanks i dident see the price list do you just call to find out

Yes, they are prehistoric still... :) Dont expect to pay with your cc either. Cod or mail prepayment, Like I said, prehistoric...

I was just wondering if any of you have tried applying steelflex on a boat thats not flipped over.. My boat is a 15ft sea nymph side console and i dont feel like stripping it down again to flip it over.. any help would be appreciated thank you..

It would be really hard to apply upside down. It take a lot of work to push the product around. Nothing like rolling paint on. My recommendation for you would be to tip it on it's side and do half. Then tip it on it's other side and finish it.

Latest posts