Will it be stable?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reo45

Reaction score
I recently got a 1436 jon boat and was wondering if it would be stable enough to stand on the benches while fishing. Im going to be mainly crappie fishing so Im not putting a deck on it, only floors, but would like to stand on the benches for bass fishing. One of my friends has a 1648 and I stand on the back bench when we fish and would like to do the same on mine if it will be stable enough. Any advice would be nice. Thanks

It's possible, but I'd be careful, but there's a 12" difference between those hull widths (36" - 48"), and naturally the 48" hull will be more stable. Put your pfd on, launch it near the ramp/bank, and test it by standing on the seats, and rock it side to side to see how it does.

If you use the method suggested by Waterwings, just make sure there is a muddy or sandy bottom where you do this (no big rocks sticking up). My bet is that you're gonna get wet.

The 36" width is generally considered the starting point of being somewhat stable. I think it all depends on you. Some people naturally have better balance than others so it's hard to say. As WW mentioned, give it a try and see. You'll know quickly if you're comfortable or not.

I agree with Poolie. The best way to know is find a safe area, don the ole' lifejacket, and step up on the benches. Make sure you walk around a bit and see what it feels like for you. It depends on your physical ability as well as your weight. I have seen teenage boys in 10' boats standing all day like they were on a 20' bassboat. On the other hand, I have fished with people that would have had me nervous no matter the size of the boat.

Use these. They're adjustable and with a little modification they will fit. Cost $229.

Attachments

• Stabalizer.jpg
    Stabalizer.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,230
there are guys who stand on the rear bench of the 1436 in our club and they have the back decked on top of the rear bench.

Up in the front, it's not quite as wide and you can stand on the bench, just need to be a little more cautious. Once you get used to it, you can run up and down the boat all you want, I did in my 1236..

I tore the factory benches out of my 1436 and made them wider for that purpose. It is plenty stable for me, but there is always a possibility of loosing your balance and going in the drink no matter how wide your boat is. If it was really windy or rough out, I would probably stay standing on the floor though.

I stand on my seats when I fish in the front and in the back, but it also depends on thw water conditions and who else is in the boat with me. The few guys that I fish with know to say Im standing up or moving or whatever. The hardest part is when the boat moves and you are not expecting it. I took my daughter fishing the other night and I was fighting for balance every time she moved.

BTW I have a 1436 also

Gary

Latest posts