Rod Rack - Side Project Completed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooky1420

Reaction score
If not on my boat, my rods were always piled up in a corner of my garage. Anytime I wanted to pull them out for a trip, line and hooks would end up making my rods into one big mess. I needed a rod rack, but didn't want to pay $50 to get one, plus, I have very limited space in my garage. So the following project was one I came up with, and the supplies only cost me about $10 total! I repurposed wood from some old shelving, made some cuts, measurements, paint, and voila! Rod problem solved. I even had enough wood left over to make a line spool holder. If you guys have any questions, please ask and I will add narrative later - just wanted to get the photos up for you guys to see.

Attachments

• A7 - Line Spool.JPG
    A7 - Line Spool.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 894
  • A5 - Line Spool.JPG
    A5 - Line Spool.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 894
  • A3 - Line Spool.JPG
    A3 - Line Spool.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 894
  • A2 - Line Spool.JPG
    A2 - Line Spool.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 894
  • A1 - Line Spool.JPG
    A1 - Line Spool.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 894
  • B13 - Rack - Finish.JPG
    B13 - Rack - Finish.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 894
  • B12 - Rack, Bottom.JPG
    B12 - Rack, Bottom.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 894
  • B11 - Rack, Top.JPG
    B11 - Rack, Top.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 894
  • B11 - Rack, Poles In.JPG
    B11 - Rack, Poles In.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 894
  • B10 - Rack, Open.JPG
    B10 - Rack, Open.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 894
  • B9 - Rack, Pull.JPG
    B9 - Rack, Pull.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 894
  • B7 - Rack, Washer Add.JPG
    B7 - Rack, Washer Add.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 894
  • B6 - Rack, Strap cut.JPG
    B6 - Rack, Strap cut.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 894
  • B5 - Rack, Strap.JPG
    B5 - Rack, Strap.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 894
  • B4 - Rack, Paint.JPG
    B4 - Rack, Paint.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 894
  • B3 - Rack, Groove.JPG
    B3 - Rack, Groove.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 894
  • B2 - Rack, Anchor.JPG
    B2 - Rack, Anchor.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 894
  • B1 - Rack, Base.JPG
    B1 - Rack, Base.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 894
nice idea on the strap with the holes already in it for holding the rod tips. On your spool holder, do you use it just to keep your extra line out of the way or actually re-spool your reels with the new line spool on the holder and just crank away to fill up the reel?

TNtroller said:
On your spool holder, do you use it just to keep your extra line out of the way or actually re-spool your reels with the new line spool on the holder and just crank away to fill up the reel?

Well, it depends. If you fill up the line by just cranking away on a really stiff Flouro, then it will promote line memory. But anything under 8lb test, and all braided lines, i just tie on an arbor knot to the reel post and then crank away just as you said. The spools spin freely on that bolt. Plus, I do pre-make my leaders before going out on a trip, and it is really easy to just pull it of the spool and cut to length.

I like it nice idea. I really the shelfs on the garage door too. Did it come like that or did you do it.

popoeye said:
I like it nice idea. I really the shelfs on the garage door too. Did it come like that or did you do it.

The garage door is a hurricane reinforced garage door. It has those metal ribs on it to make it less flexible when faced with high winds. I just made use of the space! Keep in mind, having items like hurricane impact windows and doors down here in Florida helps with your homeowners insurance rates.

Latest posts