1987 Bass Tracker V16 SC Guide Special Rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shmelty

Reaction score
Been lurking the site for ~8 months and have thoroughly enjoyed seeing all of the projects. I finally jumped in and got boat. It's a 1987 Bass Tracker V-16 Guide Special with a 25 Horse 2 Stroke Mercury. Engine is solid and has low hours. The shell of the boat is is fine condition but the decking and transom are rotted. Just got it home yesterday and made some room in the garage. This will be my winter project and I couldn't be more excited. Any tips and pointers will be appreciated.

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0072-1.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

I traded a Backwoods Piglet Smoker with BBQ Guru system for the boat/motor/trailer. I will post pics as I go through the tear-down and rebuild.

Really nice boat. 8) Ask any questions as you go along.

Likely your foam is soaked so I would pull that too. Gluvit the inside, and re-foam with noodles or board foam. 3/4 exterior wood for the floor and your good to go.

Started the teardown. Got the motor off and started ripping the decks off.

Here's bow:
IMG_0126.jpg

Here's the mouse nest under the bow :)
IMG_0130.jpg

Nice rig Shmelty.
Looking forward to your rebuild. (I hate mice - tried everything to keep them outta the boat - they still find there way in :( )

bobby

Todays Progress.... Console, all decking and transom are out. Also removed the aluminum storage covers.
The spay in foam is solid and has not taken on water. Some foam blocks toward the stern were soaked and will need to replaced.
IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

Looks you may have lucked out. I know a lot of Tracker owners have had to completely gut the poured in foam due to contamination and water logging. Looks liker your transom replacement shouldn't be too difficult.

shmelty said:
I traded a Backwoods Piglet Smoker with BBQ Guru system for the boat/motor/trailer. I will post pics as I go through the tear-down and rebuild.

Wow, at first I was thinking, a boat/motor and trailer for a BBQ/smoker, what a deal!

Then I checked on that BBQ smoker / Guru thing, looks like it would be about $5k new and all. But I dont know, if you like the deal, that is what counts. No smoker would be worth that to me but plenty of boats are. So good for you.

Tim

Got the transom pieces cut and glued them together today with West Six10 Epoxy. Also got all the decking cut. I will try to post some pics tomorrow. I plan on using the West Systems 105 with 205 hardener to seal all the wood including the transom. I will put a coat of UV protection of the transom afterwards. I plan on carpeting the decks.

Latest posts