Installing a bilge pump?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyPomeroy

Reaction score
I think my first project in the spring will be to add a bilge pump to my 12', but I have some questions. I usually am not out in the rain, and my boat doesn't have any significant leaks. So first of all I am not sure where it should be put. By the transom I figure, but in the center? left? right? Also, to quiet the floor down I have several outdoor rugs on the floor. Should I cut out a place for the pump and attach it right to the hull? if so how? Last, should I add a float or not?

I have a hand pump but the only time I have used it is when it rains while in transit or if a storm blows my tarp off.

I welcome any suggestions.
Thanks

Never know what might happen... a bilge pump is one of those "better to have it and not need it, than need it an not have it" deals.

Typically they are near the transom, especially if that's where your battery is located.

You can probably find a place to mount it (rib, transom support, etc) so that it's slightly above the floor so you don't have to fool with cutting your carpet. For example, I mounted mine to a piece of aluminum angle, and mounted the angle on the transom support.

I'd go with a float version, many of which can be wired up so they work automatically with the float AND manually from a switch, so you have the best of both worlds.

This is the one I have https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_12893_-1__?Ntt=Bilge+Pumps&Ntk=All

Place it near the transom and to one side (your choice) That way, you can lean your boat to that side and the pump will pick up most of the water. At least that is what worked for me.

I would want it as close to the full as posible. Mine is not even mounted. I got lucky and it fits nicely between my battery and transom brace. The hose runs under the transom brace and then up over the transom and is zip tied to my trolling motor (I'm a proud redneck) Maybe you could cut a little bit of the rug out of one of the corners. To hold it in place, you could always attach the pump to a plate with some silicone or something. I'm thinking like an old license plate. Put the pump on one end, and slide the exposed portion of the plate under the rug.

As far as the float goes, I would suggest an automatic one like I got. Like RivRunR mentioned, they can be wired to wired to a switch for manual operation.

Installing one myself on my 15 semi V. Other than doing the "redneck" with the drain hose what other options would I have?

twds said:
Installing one myself on my 15 semi V. Other than doing the "redneck" with the drain hose what other options would I have?
You could install something like this or the same thing in plastic. https://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/90--Thru-Hulls-Barbed

usually... if you're sinking, bilge pump won't help you... put your life jacket on...

that being said... I recommend having one to help with any leaks or rain... I've had to get on plane and pull the plug before... white knuckle experience for sure..

I won't have a boat without a bilge pump.. an I always spend extra to get a 750 or 800gph..

For installing it, 3M's 5200 adhesive works quite well. The pump will most likely come with two parts: the pump unit and a mounting base. Remove the pump from the base, rough up a spot on your boat with 80 grit sand paper, and use the adhesive (but not too much) to glue the base to your hull.

I like the fast set 5200, as I tend to be impatient about waiting for things to dry.

Good luck!

Scott

I know it's not a help in this particular post, but when buying a jon, ask the dealer of manufacturer if it will float level if it's swamped. If it will, I guess you don't really need a bilge pump.

That said, I've done a little bow fishing over the years. Guy I went with one time had an 18x8 Diamondback airboat with a 454" chevy, it was a tournament which he fishes a lot. Anyway, the boat obivously had a generator to run the lights but he also had a 3" gas powered trash pump in the bottom of the hull for that "just in case" type thing. It'd take a heck of a hole to justify needing that much bilge pump, but chances are excellent that any hole smaller than 2" diameter wouldn't sink it. And yes-it would sink, all the way to the bottom. There is zero floatation in it.

Had electric bilge pumps in all my boats except the current one. The only time I needed one was during a rain storm, about 5 miles away from the ramp with a 6 hp motor. 12' boat. Water was filling in fast because it was a frog strangler type rain, about like you see during a tropical storm, well because it was a remnant of a hurricane. Anyway I turned the pump on and it immediately blew the fuse. Put another fuse in and popped that one. Only had one other fuse, and knew right away that if it's blown two that quick that something is either shorted or the motor is shot. Pulled the pump apart the best I could and it was locked. Apparently it had not been used in so long that it was stuck. Tried to free it by turning the impeller by hand and broke the impeller. Point being, a bilge pump isn't always going to be 100% reliable when you need it. But sure better than not having one at all, if you have the space for it. The one boat I had ('glass "bass" boat with 90 hp) it was almost a necessity to have a pump in it since access to the drain plug was non-existent. Stand on your head type deal. I always had to try to remember to pump the water out before I headed to the lake.

why mount it permanently at all ???
Just have long leads made up so you can move it anywhere in the boat that is needed.
Store it out of the way in a cubbyhole. Rubber hose long enough to go over the side.
Like you said, you don't have any serious leaks, and if it is raining that hard, you would
probably be heading to the dock anyway.
It's not a Mission to Mars, it's a BOAT. #-o

oh, my drain plug is on the bottom in the middle at the transom. Underneath the boat, is like a scoop
so when the boat is on plane, you can remove the drain plug and the water will be sucked out
rather quickly. So that is your option #2 if your bilge pump fails. #3 is your bailing bucket..

On small boats I like to mount it on the left or right side as close to the transom as possible. The reason I like it this way is because it's often difficult to get all the water out of the hull. So I stand as close to the transom as possible, and lean to the left or the right (whichever side the bilge pump is on) and all the water in the hull runs to that side, where it is then pumped out. It just helps completely pump out the hull so you aren't standing in a fraction of an inch of water.