Carrying Boat Open Side Up on top of Truck Cap

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birkbill

Reaction score
Good evening my friends...

My wife and I are avid campers and fisher people and have a conundrum we seek your thoughts on...

The wife and I travel a bit with our 35' camper and are not able to always take two vehicles (one towing camper and one towing the boat (1448 MV)). We recently purchased a truck cap to go on top of our 2500HD. The cap has vertical posts which are 53 inches apart which is narrower than the width of the 12' Jon boat we would like to place on top of the cap inverted... After thinking about it for a while the wife and I both wondered what would be some of the reasons why we could not transport the boat with open end facing the sky...???

The boat would be of the plug variety so while there might be some level of water inside the boat should it sit very long but with rolling down the road with the plug out of the boat and the wind pushing the little bit of water to the rear of the boat it would drain a bit at a time...

Again, we welcome any comments or thoughts about why this might be an acceptable way to transport the boat or why this is not a very wise method of transport.

Thanks for all the insight we have gained by lurking here on this site and thanks for any knowledge you can impart to us and everyone else based on either your experience or knowledge on this topic.

Tight Lines,
Bill and Diana

Biggest concern would be the water. It would not take long for a fair amount of water to gather inside, and thats not in a major rain either. That would add a considerable amount of weight. The wind effect would not reach the water with any intensity to force it out the drain. I think its a potentially dangerous situation to you and other motorists. But thats just an opinion.

Plus the right side up mounting will create aerodynamic lift at speed which might make your truck unstable in handling.

you might consider mounting a boat loader.eide makes a good one. I sold one on cl for 500 last year.very handy for loading and carrying a boat.mounts to any cap.you can also get ones that mount cab forward if you pull a 5 th wheel

Latest posts