Sealing wood and installing carpet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRyno10

Reaction score
When I made a deck on my old boat I put a spray bedliner on it but this time I will be using carpet, and it will be my first time doing so. I was wondering what are some good things to seal the wood with and then what are some good ways to install the carpet? Ie: specific glue/staples or other?

Spar urethane is the most cost effective solution. You can also use proper spar varnish or epoxy at a higher price point. If you keep your boat covered or live in a dry climate, spar urethane (from my limited experience) will be great. Most guys here use contact cement for the carpet. You can use staples (stainless) but i think for longevity and durability, you're better off using adhesive.

+1 for the spar urethane or varnish. As for the adhesive for the carpet, I used outdoor carpet glue from Lowes for the long flat stretches and then stainless staples underneath. It has held up well for the last three years and is looking great.

Thanks for the responses! Looks like I will be picking up some spar urethane and outdoor carpet glue from Lowes tomorrow!

Is this the stuff to get.
https://www.lowes.com/pd_219242-90-207008_0__?productId=3200869&Ntt=spar+urethane&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dspar%2Burethane&facetInfo=

Yup...make sure you do at least 3 coats with 6 hours of good weather in between coats. I also sanded everything with 100 grit before coating and 220 in between coats. Double coat the end grain since it will drink the stuff up. I also went fairly heavy on my first coat to let it absorb into the wood. Others may suggest otherwise, but I found it worked better for me that way.

Latest posts