'76 Starcraft Semi V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bnoon120

Reaction score
I doing a full boat project on a starcraft semi v, its my first boat conversion ever. I have just a few minor questions, one being... do I need to secure my framing to the boat or does the weight hold it in just fine? When waterproofing my wood, how are you sure you have sealed it enough to essentially, "last forever" which i realize is impossible but metaphorically speaking..

thanks!!
-Brad

Generally speaking, its a good idea to secure your framing to the hull somehow. However, for some builds, it is possible to build a free-standing frame/deck that you just set in the boat and the weight keeps it there. Read through the build threads on this site for lots and lots of ideas.

When you think you have sealed the wood enough ... give it another coat :D And don't forget to make all your cuts and drill all your holes BEFORE sealing the wood. Two or three coats of most products is plenty to protect the wood for a long long time.

But, even more important that sealing the wood properly, is storing the boat out of the elements. You could build your decks out of untreated plywood and it will last for decades if the boat is stored in a clean dry garage with good airflow.

I appreciate the feedback! I started my build yesterday, cleaning and sealing the rivets and seams; today I have begun my framing process and I quickly realized how things on paper dont really turn out the way you want them to with wood.. hah! I am assuming it is the best idea to waterproof the framing the same as the ply wood? I was thinking that if i were to seal my seams around the ply wood with epoxy no water would get under to the framing but then I know moisture gets everywhere so I may just be creating a recipe for rot if I were to do that.. I've been reading through builds similar to mine for the past few weeks prior to starting this build but it seems like people start with a bare boat and then a picture later they are all plywooded and ready for carpet, and I couldnt find one that spoke to securing the framing to the boat... I think im going to attempt it without securing it as it does sit down well when you get the correct angles for the bottom of the boat.

If you can post a picture of your boat, we can give you all kinds of ideas on how to build the framing and secure the decks.

My build so far

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,361
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    827.7 KB · Views: 2,361
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,361
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,361
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,361
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,361
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,361
That's a great looking boat and you seem to be pretty good at working with the wood. My only recommendations would be the following:

1. Definitely seal ALL of the wood. Once you have built the whole frame, you can just take it out ... seal it ... .and set it back in place.
2. I would at least attach the frame in a few spots ... mostly to keep down on vibrations. You could do a couple simple L brackets from your center beam to the ribs.
3. This one is just a preference thing ... but you might find your front deck to be a bit high and not long enough. You lose some stability with a really high deck. And once you mount a pedestal chair and a foot controlled trolling motor ... you can run out of space up there pretty quick.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted!

So with my front it's not actually going to be a casting deck, I'm just going to bow mount a trolling motor and my fish finder monitor up there. I'm dropping the deck to about 4" height from the battery back about 6 foot and putting 2 pedastol seats on the low flat floor. I also plan to put the gas tank in there somewhere. Then in the back do a livewell and casting deck.

Did a complete redesign on my original front end, integrated the gas tank for my front mast, set the main floor framing, and am now starting on the framing for the livewell to be.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,275
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,275
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,275
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
I believe they're aluminum. They're made for decks, they were very light and came recommended by the assoc. who helped me find them at home depot.. He appeared knowledgeable but I could have been taken...

See if a magnet sticks to them!

Do a search on here for brackets - and grades of Alum.

Also make sure you are using SS screws, nuts and bolts - I would suggest a Hardware store for that stuff as HD is Wayyyy over priced and has limited selection

New progress pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,156
Well it's been -10 the past two days, not including wind chill so I have completed my inboard livewell setup.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 859
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg