Spray or roll?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC2133

Reaction score
What's the preferred method to painting the exterior, roll on paint with foam brush or rattle can spray paint?

I second lckstckn2smknbrls.

I used method #2. Use whichever method you are comfortable with, do proper prep, take your time and read the directions of the paint you are going to use. The proper materials are listed for the best result. Oh, and have fun with it.

I don't have access to a spray gun. Thanks for the roll tipping idea. I'll have to read and watch more on it. Seems like a good route to go.

I use Rustoleum, a brush, a little mineral spirits to eliminate brush strokes. The thickness of the paint provides protection to the hull and it looks awful good at a distance.

Roll and tip large areas.
Mask and rattle can striping, logos, numbers.

It's a boat...not a $100,000 collectible car. An el-cheapo harbor freight sprayer will work wonders for you. Plus it'll be handy to have for for other painting projects.

Personally I'd go with the rattle can over the roller. I find spraying you get a more uniform & less textured finish without the time & effort of thinning the paint, going over every surface twice (roll & brush) & all the cleanup that then comes with it.

Not to mention the paint lasts longer in the rattle can afterwards, so if you have to make a touch-up it's a lot easier.

Not knocking the quality of the roll/tip guys results, probably does come out slightly better if done well, but at what cost in terms of time/material & learning curve? But at the end of the day it's still a boat.

I end up spending less time because I don't have to mask as much stuff, no drop cloths over the rest of the stuff in the garage, and I don't have to monkey around with respirators and cleaning out sprayers when I'm done. $1.50 brush goes in the garbage along with the $1.00 foam roller. Typically takes 1 quart to paint everything above the waterline on an average size boat. Cost $9.00. If I rattle canned, it be about $15.

ericman said:
I end up spending less time because I don't have to mask as much stuff, no drop cloths over the rest of the stuff in the garage, and I don't have to monkey around with respirators and cleaning out sprayers when I'm done. $1.50 brush goes in the garbage along with the $1.00 foam roller. Typically takes 1 quart to paint everything above the waterline on an average size boat. Cost $9.00. If I rattle canned, it be about $15.

Really...just a quart. That's good to know. Here's what I'm working with. Plan on going with a blue and silver scheme.

The average coverage of paint is about 100 square feet per quart......
half that if you double coat.

so do the math - square feet of your painted surface, one or two coats,
and go from there.
I personally like to brush paint - it has sort of a theraputic quality about it.
Oil based paint can be hand brushed onto a solid surface that can rival any spray job.
just like varnishing a piece of nice wood furniture.
the secret is in the prep and application technique of the painter.

silver paint has some qualities that prevent it from having a nice clean look.
in my opinion, it is better off sprayed vs rolled or brushed. Plus, it is hard to maintain.
A light grey oil enamel brushed on would look good and much easier to maintain.

pour some paint into a can or tray, thin as necessary for your conditions
and paint your project - do NOT return any modified (thinned) paint back to the original can
or else it will spoil (over time).

Read, Understand and Follow the instructions on the label of all products you may use.

jus my Dos Centavos

I agree with Johnny. Silver paint sucks. Actually, any metallic paint sucks. Doing large areas, especially with a rattle can is very difficult to get it evenly applied. The volatiles cause the metallic flecks to run and spread too easily. (There's a reason having a body shop re-paint your car with a metallic paint is so expensive and there's a reason auto paint professionals make good money) That being said. I do customer work where I paint boats and I only brush and tip, but I will not do metallic paint. Leave that to people who ONLY paint for a living. But I can also do all the prep work AND all the paint on a boat, charge around $1000 and still feel like I made out just fine. But I tell my customers up front, "IF you want your boat to look like new, either buy a new boat OR pay $3500 at a body shop."

I began removing the old paint. I actually like the look of the bare aluminum. So I'm leaning towards skipping on the silver paint and only painting the top half blue.

Well, I did the roll and tip method. I must say, I felt as if I was laying down good even coats with this method. I did have to spray the self etching primer. After 3 coats of blue, it's looking pretty sharp. For under $45 this was a good little project. Hopefully if the weather stays warm, I'll be able to strip the inside and leave it bare aluminum.
Thanks again for everyone's advice.

Before and after pictures:

Latest posts