Another jon rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up this 1436 April 7th got to sanding the next day. Should I sand all the way to bare aluminum or just enough to paint? What are the pros and cons?IMG_1551.JPG
808a34f2f09e6d7d404bfb1150d818b2.jpg
13149ba59973c3f0a63ea71991cbce9a.jpg
33cf4103c10b426277f8a4b2535de4b3.jpg
50b324c12d02d2c51b5c16f10b4ca248.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the rule of thumb is to follow the manufacturers instructions:
remove all loose and scaling paint - degrease it.
sand or scuff existing finishes for best adhesion.
if you have mixed bare metal and existing paint,
personally, I would not use self etching primer.
just a good quality aluminum primer and go with it.

Note: it has been discussed in other forums that Self Etching Primer
is designed for bare metal only . . . . if it goes over a painted surface,
there is the inherent risk of the SEP tunneling and burrowing under
the existing paint to create an avenue for corossion.

I think I'm gunna go with an opoxy primer.
Any experiences with epoxy primer?

Epoxy primer is what I used on my project. I used a two part self etching primer from Pettit on the bare aluminum. Then a couple coats of two part filler primer to fill in some of the deeper scratches. Then Pettit EZ Poxy top coat. It came out great and it's​ extremely tough. But as Johnny said, follow the instructions EXACTLY and don't take any shortcuts. The paint I used was pretty pricy and would have thrown a lot of money away had I not used it properly.

Epoxy self etching primer

Epoxy filler primer

EZ Poxy polyurethane topcoat

mbweimar said:
Epoxy primer is what I used on my project. I used a two part self etching primer from Pettit on the bare aluminum. Then a couple coats of two part filler primer to fill in some of the deeper scratches. Then Pettit EZ Poxy top coat. It came out great and it's​ extremely tough. But as Johnny said, follow the instructions EXACTLY and don't take any shortcuts. The paint I used was pretty pricy and would have thrown a lot of money away had I not used it properly.

Epoxy self etching primer

Epoxy filler primer

EZ Poxy polyurethane topcoat

Man that looks good thin I might go a cheaper route

Originally I just planned on sanding the boat enough to throw primer and paint on. But after reading multiple threads on painting Jon boats I'm going to sand it bare and use the self etching primer.
a2f75f6bba9a5752d99ca9631c2d2b51.jpg

One side almost done

My advice is to absolutely get that crack repaired. You should be able to find a shop that welds aluminum for a reasonable price. Definitely don't want a crack in the transom.

LionHeart said:
My advice is to absolutely get that crack repaired. You should be able to find a shop that welds aluminum for a reasonable price. Definitely don't want a crack in the transom.
Defiantly on the to do list. Got a friend that has a welder.

bassanglersauls said:
281d8d083880eb83ffd3c9d6796e117a.jpg
how should I go about fixing this crack?

Is this crack in the transom cap piece or in the actual transom itself? The former would be a much better problem to have. In other photos it looks like there are plates on both sides of the transom so it is difficult to tell. If both plates are add-ons you might wonder why. However, it looks like the inside plate could be original to the boat.

I'm impressed with how you removed all the old finish. That had to be a lot of work -- nicely done!

Latest posts