Painting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis1022

Reaction score
100_1256.JPGI have this 1971 Grumman Semi - V Hull, I did repair the inside and painted the sides. The problem came up with it almost sank like the Titanic! Well now I stripped the whole boat bottom and located all the holes and Oxidations cause by the previous owner never took time to fix. Well I had purchased this stuff call Lab Metal and used a putty knife to lay it on. You just wouldn't believe how good that came out! I then purchased goof it putty / paint, this came out like klear kote smooth as silk. So now I have to paint it this boat was stripped down to the bare metal / aluminum using this stripper item from a company on Amazon. What it looked like is a wheel with around 50 to 60 wire stems sticking out and have to use a drill to strip the paint, it really got down to the metal. Just need to wear goggles and gloves and a good work apron! So what I need to know what is the amount of paint to do the bottom of this boat 14' Length. Transom width is 52", the middle beam is 63" the transom height is 16.5", Middle Hgt. 18", Bow to bottom of keel is 24" on the bottom of the boat is 3 keels are 12" apart. Then the main keel from the top to the beginning of the other keels match up in length! So how many coats should I use? I don't have a spray gun so it need to be brushed on and roller?

Dennis - the average paint covers about 100 square feet per quart.
when you choose your paint, read the label and it will tell you the SF
you could expect with brush, roll and spray.
for that small of an area, I personally would roll or brush it. (Roll and Tip method).
I use one coat of primer and two top coats. then a fresh-up coating every couple of years.
there are dozens of good quality paints to choose from.
I personally am a Rust-Oleum aficionado.

to figure the square footage: Length times Width.
square footage.jpg

Bet two quarts does it. If you go rustoleum, you can add hardener to it. I'd be tempted to leave the bottom bare and paint the top.
81369dd084e5d791282fb00532764c1f.jpg

This is my boat that I painted with rustoleum (Tremclad here in Canada). Light fine sand after the primer will make topcoat come out smoother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, so far the cost of painting this one is quit expensive so far! I done the patching with the Metal-Lab and then used GOOP 5400060 by Coat-It Epoxy Sealer Adhesive Kit - 8 lb can. This left the bottom smooth and then seal all the little spots I missed or just wanted to give me more insurance of protection against leaking. The color is like a grayish brown, I would say. So I need to paint the bottom and the transom and part of the bow! I like to have the bottom painted Royal Blue and the sides a White color. The thing is the design of sloop of the bow to make it even and look good and not junkie! I seen the one with the red side looks nice and then there was another boat that was painted in green sides. I'll look into the Rust-Oleum and so far I read that I need to buy at least 1/2 gallon for 2 coats.

I have put the GOOP on and it makes like a turtle shell. Now I had painted it and like to know, should I put on a protective coating, like lacquer or poly coating? Just to let everyone know that make sure when using that GOOP, it pours and paints real nice just make sure you get all the air bubbles out. These 2 photos are with the GOOP that was put on. I had so many tiny holes from aluminum oxidation, that I had put on LabMetal for the large hole and some of the small. Just couldn't get all the holes with out using the GOOP. I'll post more photos of the painted boat later!

Attachments

• 100_0924.JPG
    100_0924.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 859
  • 100_0925.JPG
    100_0925.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 859
I finished the painting, just have to find out what to protect the boat paint from scratches, & scuffs. I noticed the paint gets powder feel off on my fingers! Now what I need to know is what type of protection cover do I put to protect the paint?

Attachments

• 100_1407 (2).JPG
    100_1407 (2).JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 724
  • 100_1407.JPG
    100_1407.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 724
  • 100_1408 (2).JPG
    100_1408 (2).JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 724
  • 100_1408.JPG
    100_1408.JPG