16 ft aluminum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markb63

Reaction score
I am trying to put a floor in the boat but the ridges are vertical and I am trying to come up with a way to secure floor but most pics I see the ridges are horizontal. Please someone help me with idea please.

Attachments

• 0622171931_HDR.jpg
    0622171931_HDR.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,700
Maybe you could make angled 90 degree aluminum brackets secured to each seat side and then secure the flooring to the brackets. 1/2 inch plywood probably would not flex too much. I once put a plywood floor in a 12 foot boat just by sliding the 3/8 plywood under the seats. It was a B of a job to do but once I had it in it did not move side to side but did flex when I stepped on it.

BillPlayfoot said:
... 1/2 inch plywood probably would not flex too much. I once put a plywood floor in a 12 foot boat just by sliding the 3/8 plywood under the seats. It was a B of a job to do but once I had it in it did not move side to side but did flex when I stepped on it.
I've done the same to tins 12, 14 & 16' and the flex never bothered me. At least it was a 'flat' surface to walk on. I coated the ply, especially the end grains (used epoxy, as I had gallons on hand) and put marine vinyl on them and they'll last for years! Vinyl was folded over the side edges and stapled down w/ monel staples. Fore/aft edges left long, 1-1/2" or so. Floors were light & easy to remove for annual cleanings, pre or post-season.

Simple ...

I see light, fast and nimble without a floor but flooring one section in front of you with 3/8 keeps your stuff dry. No screews. Just make a template and/or do a great job cutting and fitting it then keep it removable for cleaning. Screewed down floors are for those relocating flotation foam from the seats to the floor. They screew down the floor to hold the floatation during a swamped condition.

Also wanted to say I cannot make any holes in bench seats because they are sealed for flotation its from 1957

Markb63 said:
its from 1957

Wow. Send more details like brand and close up pics. We love old tin on this site especially un molested ones!

More pics. Open for all ideas. From the floor to mounting rod holders ECT. Floor is what I most need help with. If need better pics just let me know

Attachments

• 0909171146a_HDR.jpg
    0909171146a_HDR.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,620
  • 0909171143_HDR.jpg
    0909171143_HDR.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,620
  • 0909171144_HDR.jpg
    0909171144_HDR.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,620
  • 0909171143b_HDR.jpg
    0909171143b_HDR.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,620
Nice! I like splash wells. Rod holders are available to slip in the oar locks. Get cardboard and cut a template for a floor if you want it to fit perfect. It just takes time with a jig saw and sander to dial in a fit. Don't screew the floor down. To much sand, fish guts, leaves, ecetera will get trapped under it. You can allways add an angle bracket as mentioned off of your seat but wait to see for yourself that a plain dropped in floor does not move. What motor are you going to use?

An old johnson 9.9 that's in good condition. That's all I have to go with though

Markb63 said:
An old johnson 9.9 that's in good condition. That's all I have to go with though
Those are great engines just be careful with how much weight you add and keep it light.

If you don't want to drill into the seats to use an angle bracket, why not cut a piece of wood that fits snugly under the seat and use an angle bracket to secure it to the floor board. That will keep the floor pieces from shifting around and not put any holes in your boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All wood put down on floor should all be coated with something even little pieces right?

No floor yet but still at it setting up rod holders and stuff..

Attachments

• 0924171811_HDR.jpg
    0924171811_HDR.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 249
  • 0924171146_HDR.jpg
    0924171146_HDR.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 249

Latest posts