Bay boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan28

Reaction score
Crestliner 2200 Bay, Excel 220 Bay Pro or SeaArk 2072 VFX? I want a tough boat that can do the bays, jetties and lakes in TX and last for many years. Which would be your choice and why? Any real negatives as far as boat construction (welds not holding up, etc) with any of these brands?Thanks in advance.

Well got some responses on another boat forum. Figured a forum dedicated to tin boats would've been the way to get solid answers. Thanks for looking anyway.

It is possible that none of our members owned those specific boats. Or, that they were out fishing all weekend. Ha Ha.

I don't own any of them, either. I did look carefully at a SeaArk before I bought a new hull two years ago. It was built like a tank. Its price was quite a bit higher than the other boats that I looked at. I wound up with a G3 hull, and that worked for my limited needs.

Thanks rich. From the replies I received on the other site and your post I'm leaning towards SeaArk. They basically said what you did about SeaArk being solidly built. They said Crestliner isn't what it used to be. Wish I could get a little more info on Excel boats though.

Crestliner is now owned by Brunswick, according to Wikipedia. They also own Lowe and Lund. See article LINKED below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunswick_Boat_Group

richg99

Check out florida sportsman best boat series they have one on al bay boats. The Seaark is an awesome boat. I special ordered a 2072 vjon which is the same hull. as the one you mentioned. I went with a 175 suzuki with a 6" hydraulic jack plate, small al center console and front and rear decks. Lots of room for fishing the 40 gallon live well is huge. The ride is awesome I have the boat a year now and have yet to wet when running it nice soft dry ride.

clydegator said:
Check out florida sportsman best boat series they have one on al bay boats. The Seaark is an awesome boat. I special ordered a 2072 vjon which is the same hull. as the one you mentioned. I went with a 175 suzuki with a 6" hydraulic jack plate, small al center console and front and rear decks. Lots of room for fishing the 40 gallon live well is huge. The ride is awesome I have the boat a year now and have yet to wet when running it nice soft dry ride.

This might be the way to go. Thanks for the info

I have a Seaark 1872MV CC with an Etec 90 that's a beast. All of the 72's are made of .125" aluminum and the diamond plate floor is around 3/8. It's a "lifetime" boat, not cheap, but quality isn't. The 28" freeboard is also nice. The only downside is the 3 degree deadrise does not lend it to being a good rough water boatif you are looking at running in chop, so that should be a consideration . There's nothing about the boat I don't like or would do different except power with a 115HP instead of the 90. It has a T-top and loaded to the hilt still runs 30MPH comfortable. I don't think you will go wrong with any Seaark. I have not read anything negative about Xcel.
I owned a G3 and busted all of the welds on the horizontal supports. Their method of making the bottom hull seam is atrocious and not suited for salt water without a lot of rinsing and maintenance.They edge weld the two flanges and then cover it with a piece of angle that is stitch welded and holds water.
My buddy has a Crestliner that has been back to the factory twice in three years to correct sloppy/cracked welds.

The selling point for me was that Seaark will build it to your specifications so you don't pay for unwanted options on a dealer's lot boat. Every one they build is a one off.

clydegator said:

Did you get the float pods? I may order the 2072 vfx in January and am debating on whether or not to get them. Some people say get them others say not necessary. I'm looking at the deluxe center console with Suzuki df140a, hydraulic steering, ss prop, rear deck mounted leaning post and single axle aluminum trailer. Am considering a dual axle trailer instead and debating about the float pods. Do you feel the pods are needed?

bryan28 said:
clydegator said:

Did you get the float pods? I may order the 2072 vfx in January and am debating on whether or not to get them. Some people say get them others say not necessary. I'm looking at the deluxe center console with Suzuki df140a, hydraulic steering, ss prop, rear deck mounted leaning post and single axle aluminum trailer. Am considering a dual axle trailer instead and debating about the float pods. Do you feel the pods are needed?

The main advantage to pods is for the hole shot. If you are going to use a jacl plate, and I suggest it if you are going to coastal fish, you really don't need them, IMHO. I have a Bob's hydraulic with the hole shot cover on the bottom, no pods, and I have a three second hole shot and I'm on top of the water running 4500, and that's with a 90HP Etec.. A lot of people have them so there must be some benefit to them, I just didn't find it necessary on my Seaark. Seaarks warranty is only good using up to a 6" JP, but I found that to be plent of setback for my boat.

Bob Landry said:
bryan28 said:
clydegator said:

The main advantage to pods is for the hole shot. If you are going to use a jacl plate, and I suggest it if you are going to coastal fish, you really don't need them, IMHO. I have a Bob's hydraulic with the hole shot cover on the bottom, no pods, and I have a three second hole shot and I'm on top of the water running 4500, and that's with a 90HP Etec.. A lot of people have them so there must be some benefit to them, I just didn't find it necessary on my Seaark. Seaarks warranty is only good using up to a 6" JP, but I found that to be plent of setback for my boat.

I won't be getting a jackplate. It'll be pods or nothing.

Don't be so quick to dismiss the use of a jackplate on any boat. They help in a few other ways than just getting more skinny. Best money I've spent on my rig.

Latest posts