Looks great/diesel outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyboat

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.yanmarmarine.com/News-detail/YANMAR-LAUNCHES-THE-DTORQUE-111-TURBO-DIESEL-OUTBOARD/

No mention of weight that I saw in my quick look, thoughts?

While a diesel does conjure images of long life and dependability, I'm not sure the same applies to a "turbo diesel"... I'd be hesitant about that on such a small motor......

I think that thing is supposed to cost €29k. Not exactly a bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeaFaring said:
I think that thing is supposed to cost €29k. Not exactly a bargain.

Just read somewhere else it has a 25K price tag, I can buy a bunch of tin boats with all sort of HP for that kind of money.

Shaugh said:
While a diesel does conjure images of long life and dependability, I'm not sure the same applies to a "turbo diesel"... I'd be hesitant about that on such a small motor......
Small turbo diesels are much more common(and reliable) in Europe.

@25K a pop or more that little engine better be secured by something other then 2 bolts. An awful lot of temptation there for some to pass up.

Turbochargers and diesel engines are like peas and carrots. They were made for each other. And honestly, there is nothing to worry about as far as reliability, nothing at all.

And diesel engines-well most of them-are the near perfect candidate for boat propulsion. Full load, full speed all the time-they love it and last a long time doing it. The downside is weight, and as technology progresses, that may become less of an issue.

If the price is $25/$30M, who the heck is going to buy one? I think it sounds like a great idea...but....????

When I can buy a nice little car for the same money, what idiot would put this motor on the market? Oh, of course, there are the Government buyers who might over-pay for the motor.

I get a number of Tech/Sci type newsletters. They always have some new idea that costs three or four times more than what is already available today.

I guess common sense isn't very common anymore.

I think the fuel savings are such that if you can put a few thousand hours on it, you can make the money back. Then there are the organizations (NATO navies for example) who have decided to stop carrying gasoline because of the threat of fire in combat situations.

In those cases, I wouldn’t say that they’re overpaying. But it’s not a motor that has much place in the recreational market, sadly. Their press releases say as much.

The web page I read specifically stated the motor was developed for commercial use. It has a 10,000 hr life expectancy, so the fuel savings will justify the price, if it is used continuously.

Latest posts