Rod Storage, late 80's Tracker

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalninm

Reaction score
Trying to figure out the best way to add a rod holder to my 1989 Bass Tracker TX17. With the foam in the front, angle of the front, and limited space I'm curious if a rod box right down the center of the boat would or not, and there isn't enough room on the sides to add a side rod box. Any thoughts on a solution? Pictured is the front half of the boat and the center. I'm not touching the back half for this rebuild (maybe next winter).

Attachments

• IMG_3203.JPG
    IMG_3203.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 1,523
I would remove all that foam & build a rod box straight down the middle. Once you have a box built then put new foam in.

I'm doing something similar - rod box down the center setting PVC tubes in the foam in the bow so I'm not losing buoyancy in an emergency. The box opening will be farther back and the rods can just slide into the PVC under the deck area.

Thats what I've been considering is a box down the center. I'll loose some floor space back by the console but I think it'll be worth it. You guys have any of it done already that you could share some pics? using plywood for the box or something else (particle board)?

I just started ripping apart my tx-17. My plan was to do a center rod locker like the new pro teams. But I am also doing a recessed trolling motor tray and I think that is going to hurt me on space a little. There is enough room to do side lockers but you will have to bring the deck really far back which I am going to do because I am going to build a custom dash and the dash is going go to need to sit on top of the deck. If I come up with anything I’ll show pics like I said I just got the floor and carpet pulled yesterday and I believe I am going to paint it before I start on the deck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since posting this topic originally I've done a lot of sketching, measuring, and mocking up to figure out what I wanted to do. I'm doing a center rod locker as well, that portion of the deck is going to have to come back about an extra 18" to accommodate my 8' rods. The aluminum framing the boat already has, I'm going to go right down the center of it so I don't have to mess with moving all the framing. Also I'll be going with a recessed tray for my trolling motor and after looking at how much room it'll take up I think i'll be fine. All the tray is going to do is cut down on my overhead clearence inside the rod box, but it'll still leave me 6-8" which I don't think will be a problem. I'd love to see pics when you're done. Or if you run into anything let me know, maybe I've already found a way around it...or maybe not :LOL2:

[emoji106]. Sounds like a plan. I’m going to start on floor and deck frame tomorrow I think. I just don’t want to get it to heavy so that I can flip it and paint it.

Not worrying about the outside of mine. Working on a budget and inside matters the most to me, maybe next winter i'll do a wrap or something, paint would look great but thats a lot of work lol

Yes it is a lot of work. I’m still debating it. I got my bottom floor done and started laying out some framing. I’m going to pick up some aluminum angle to rivet to the sides of the boat for Main deck support on sides I think. I just recut the the rear storage lids and put some paint on them. See how far I get today. For some reason I don’t have much motivation today

You're way ahead of me, I'm gonna start working on disassembling the back deck tomorrow, and the rest of the week I should have some time to work it. Planning on prepping everything for carpet, and reassembly/re installation this week and starting on the big parts after the holidays

Well I finished up a few things early and decided to tackle pulling up some rear deck and get some foam out. Little did I know that the foam is some of the support for the back deck. So now I’m at the point of either stopping or tearing it all the way down and building it how I want it. My personal opinion is I think the livewell could use turned and the seat bases could use some lowering. I’m just not certain I am in for all this work but then again I have until March.

Not trying to hikack your thread btw. Probably gonna have to start my own on this lol

Latest posts